BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, i bought a 01 m5 4 months back or so and I do love the car, I acutally sold my large screen 16:9 becuase of a scratch and drove with no radio for 3 weeks, in this 3 weeks I have noticed a squeak coming from my suspension which i though would be thrust arm bushings and rear ball joints.. so i replaced them thinking even if its not i would be time soon.. ( turns out they were bad..)also had the famous sway bar mount replaced in the back as it was broken also, the car does feel alot tighter, but the sqeak although not as bad as before is still there, I have the Dinan s1 package with dinan stg2 suspension with the koni yellows, im starting to think its my shocks under quick compression like pot holes man hole overs etc.. does anyone have experience with this happening? on a side not.. also had the EVO 3 installed with DSSR and that is one nice upgrade :)

suspension looks to be installed jan of 2001

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Sorry to hear about the squeak - those things can drive you nuts :confused3

I spent a lot of time recently trying to figure out a squeak in my car, and searching this board revealed a lot of cars equipped with Dinan suspensions had squeaky spring perches. These are the rubber insulation between spring and metal. Another potential problem area is if your car has polyurethane swaybar bushings. In both cases, lubing was the solution.

If it were my car, I'd spray some WD-40 on the top and bottom of the springs, and see if the squeak goes away. If it does, then you'll need to disassemble them and lube them. On my Vette, I used marine grease, which was waterproof, very thick and extremely sticky (tacky actually).

Good luck, and tell us what you find. :byebye:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ELEVENS said:
Sorry to hear about the squeak - those things can drive you nuts :confused3

I spent a lot of time recently trying to figure out a squeak in my car, and searching this board revealed a lot of cars equipped with Dinan suspensions had squeaky spring perches. These are the rubber insulation between spring and metal. Another potential problem area is if your car has polyurethane swaybar bushings. In both cases, lubing was the solution.

If it were my car, I'd spray some WD-40 on the top and bottom of the springs, and see if the squeak goes away. If it does, then you'll need to disassemble them and lube them. On my Vette, I used marine grease, which was waterproof, very thick and extremely sticky (tacky actually).

Good luck, and tell us what you find. :byebye:
thanks for your info.. I also did some searching on bimmerforums and bimmerfest.. turns out e39 can produce this squeak almost like a bird chirping form the brake pads not being lubricated right.. and also the dust shields at the brakes also.. remedies are taking it apart cleaning out pads and lubing them with copper anti rattle , and also taking the shileds off and cleaning them out and reassemling them.. hope our info helps others.. becuase you are right these sounds can drive someone crazy.. ouich

1 - 3 of 3 Posts