BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my question: I brought my car into an independent shop to get an oil change while I still had 2 green lights left. My car is a CPO with maintenance plan ending in January. The shop reset the lights so now I have full greens. I was hoping that with my current mileage at around 50,000 miles and with only two green lights left that my Insp 2 will probably be up when the yellow comes up again. I want to have this Insp 2 before the maintenance plan ends but now I'm not even sure the indicator lights will get to yellow before the plan ends. Any ideas about this? If shops keep resetting the lights then what will trigger the indicator for upcoming inspections? Will a dealer perform an inspection on a car with a maintenance plan without the insp indicator light on?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Here's my question: I brought my car into an independent shop to get an oil change while I still had 2 green lights left. My car is a CPO with maintenance plan ending in January. The shop reset the lights so now I have full greens. I was hoping that with my current mileage at around 50,000 miles and with only two green lights left that my Insp 2 will probably be up when the yellow comes up again. I want to have this Insp 2 before the maintenance plan ends but now I'm not even sure the indicator lights will get to yellow before the plan ends. Any ideas about this? If shops keep resetting the lights then what will trigger the indicator for upcoming inspections? Will a dealer perform an inspection on a car with a maintenance plan without the insp indicator light on?
Just got Inspection II at 50,200 mi. with 1 green bar left. I'd asked the dealer if they have ways to know that the previous lights left was two bars prior to the oil change so as they can estimate that they can perform inspection when you have at least used up one green bar.

Would suck big time if you miss out on inspection II because of this...

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Would suck big time if you miss out on inspection II because of this...
Exactly my point...I'll wait until the green bars go down a few and then talk to my SA. I'm not going to miss out on Insp 2 since that is a main reason to have the maintenance plan.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
I wouldn't wait. Have the conversation NOW. If you get screwed by the Indy's mistake (and it is a mistake, the BMW instructions for an oil service between recommended services EXPLICITLY says not to reset the indicator) then the indy will need to fix this issue.

AFAIK, BMW will pay the dealer to do an insp 2 unless the car's computer indicates that it is due....

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to call my SA tomorrow and tell him what happened. Not sure why the shop reset the greens since they do specialize in BMW's.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Prolly cause they are an indy and the stupid lights are useless for anyone and everyone who really cares about adequate maintenance.

Which leaves BMWNA...

(So whatcha gonna tell your SA when he asks 'why didn't you bring it to us for the oil change?' :)

GL

A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts