BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys:

Should I assume most mechanics/dealers will be put-off if I'm providing them with parts and just want the labor performed? The first mechanic I talked to basically told me that he wouldn't make any money on the labor alone (even at $127.50/hr)----btw, he did offer to do the work.

I'm in the process of accumulating parts for the clutch rebuild (the preventative maintenance list is growing) and the next step is to hire someone to do the install. I don't want to offend someone who may be performing work on the car that I love.

Any thoughts/suggestions on proceeding would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
417 Posts
There are some shops that charge a higher rate if you bring your own parts since they do plan on some overhead for providing them for you. RRT in Virginia comes to mind. I think they charge $10-20 more per hour than standard.

Reactions: BillyT

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
The first mechanic I talked to basically told me that he wouldn't make any money on the labor alone (even at $127.50/hr
Sounds like this guy likes 1st class travel to Europe.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I live in CT so would be interested. Where in CT is Clemster? Does he have his own shop?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I live in CT so would be interested. Where in CT is Clemster? Does he have his own shop?
I think he meant to say if you're willing to drive from CT. Clemster is in Maryland. But if you had the time, his rates are extremely fair and his work is nothing short of great.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry yes MD. Clemster just did my clutch and flywheel last week. Everything went so smooth.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys. A drive to MD is probably a worthwhile trade off for getting it done right. Gotta save $$ for the install!!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Clemster is in Dayton, MD.

If I am unable to do a job (typically, time constraints) my local dealer will install "Customer Provided Parts" even if they are not OE/OEM at the same labour rate (or what ever deal I can workout with my SA).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Every shop will have their own policy on this. Typically the car repair business is all about labor, so IMO if someone says they can't make money with just labor they're not doing it right.

My local (Utah) mechanic doesn't add any margin to the OEM parts he uses. In fact he is always willing to sell parts to anyone at cost as free advertising -- hoping that a good number of people will end up wanting him to do the labor anyway. So he wouldn't care at all if someone brought their own.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I don't get a lot of work done on my M5; I do most of it myself. When I do get work done, I prefer to supply at least some of the parts. This is not necessarily because I can save a bunch money doing it. It's because I can control the quality of part going into my car and I reduce the chance of overpaying for an inferior part. To an extent, that is. The same shops that would charge OE/OEM prices for substandard aftermarket parts are probably the ones that would take your provided parts, resell them for profit and install the substandard aftermarket parts in your car. Providing some of the parts spreads the parts cost over a period of time.

I have been lucky and choose my shops wisely. None of them have had a problem with me providing parts and none of them have charged me a premium for doing so. In fact, the majority supported because it did save me some money. If you can make it down to Clemster's, do it. You will not be sorry that you did.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
BillyT- I am from CT and can offer you some helping hand to work on your M5. PM will be on your way.

Although New Canaan is about an hr away from me but I do have connections for parts and a mech I use if anything serious like clutch replacement or something in that category. (cheap labor, 30+ years experience and used to own a garage).

Reactions: BillyT

·
Registered
59 Posts
you guys have it good in the USA as parts are substantially cheaper and even after freight I save major dollars compared to local parts so for example: 4 x euro brake rotors $850 USD inc freight....or $650.00 each here in Western Australia...non dealer BMW service $160 per hour dealer service $190-220 per hour. The shop I have used even gets there parts from ecstuning.com and quite often it is quicker from the USA than the east coast of Australia. I am looking at parts for my 928S2 $144 water pump from USA or $580 from a dealer locally so why do dealers take the piss and then get annoyed that people source their own parts

·
Registered
470 Posts
There is also George, aka M5Daemon, on Long Island. Message and ask him.. definitely a shorter drive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Karan:

Thanks for the offer and the PM. I can't reply back via PM since I'm still shy of the minimum number of posts. I'll keep your number handy.

Thanks again.

Billy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Most shops need to make a little money off their parts markup to offset the cost of carrying inventory to avoid delaying work days for every little thing. If the parts you bring don't fit or are not as well made as OEM, then they may find they can't complete the work to their standards or need to modify the parts (like grind off flashing or material from a part that wasn't finished after being pulled from a mold), wasting their (and your) time. It's a time and money risk for them, so I try not to do it unless it's to use parts that are an upgrade they don't normally carry, or if I bought OEM parts for a DIY job that I ran out of time or talent to complete.
In any case, always ask ahead if they're OK with it to avoid any nasty surprises.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know when I was turning wrenches back in the shop, we would put "customer's parts" on their car. Now, this coming from someone that was in service for Mercedes, it is good and bad in my opinion. At least you have a chance to win the customer over for there business but the other side of it, for me, is the quality/fitment of the parts!

There is already issues with OE stuff at times and then to throw a generic part in the mix...I have had quite a few fun times when that generic brand stuff didn't want to fit.

·
Registered
886 Posts
This is where building a relationship helps. I've got an indie I take the big jobs too, and he's OK with me buying the parts. But he knows they won't be crappy quality, and they'll be the right parts.

I grew up in Stamford, don't blame you not wanting to be ripped off by any local dealers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts