BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '00 model and because of pixel problem, had the instrument cluster changed.

I know that on newer 2000 models as well as 01's-04, that was the design.

My car was an early build and did not have the gray face on the dials.

My question is, what is the theory behind the gray face design vs the black.

Is it to represent a more "european" look or what exactly.

I think the gray design looks much better.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
It's purely aesthetics and I agree it looks good. They had to make a number of visual updates to the facelift models and this was a good place to start. I suppose it also helps to differentiate between the M5 and lesser E39 models.

If you need to replace an instrument cluster you can no longer get them in black, so even if you have a pre-facelift model your new cluster will have grey dials.

Note how the E60 dials are back to black - I wonder if they will introduce grey dials (and an oval rear view mirror) for the mid-life E60 M5 facelift in a few years time??

·
Registered
60 Posts
update;

my 2001 M5 cluster lost a column of pixels. i have the light grey gages
but the dealer is replacing it with BLACK gages!! he said they are no longer available in grey!!!

?????

is he just bsing me cause thats all he has in stock, or ??

any ideas?

thanks,

mark

Ashok Arora said:
It's purely aesthetics and I agree it looks good. They had to make a number of visual updates to the facelift models and this was a good place to start. I suppose it also helps to differentiate between the M5 and lesser E39 models.

If you need to replace an instrument cluster you can no longer get them in black, so even if you have a pre-facelift model your new cluster will have grey dials.

Note how the E60 dials are back to black - I wonder if they will introduce grey dials (and an oval rear view mirror) for the mid-life E60 M5 facelift in a few years time??

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Just a note about pixel repair........

Several aftermarket shops are repairing the E39 VDO speedometers that have pixel issues. The fee is $200 to $400, depending upon where you send it. Searching web will return hits. You must remove & reinstall the cluster which takes maybe an hour labor...plus, you must carefully pack it for shipping and watch your car sit for a week while they repair it.

For folks who "really" want to keep their original speedo, this is an alternative to getting a BMW exchange cluster installed at the dealer. Be advised that the cost is cheaper to have BMW do it, assuming they agree to the customary charge of labor only.

·
10,455 Posts
Keep us posted mark, i'd like to have my black cluster back... If bmw has gone back to black. I had mine replaced with a gray one under warranty about 2 years ago...
Mike
markg said:
update;

but the dealer is replacing it with BLACK gages!! he said they are no longer available in grey!!!

?????

any ideas?

thanks,

mark

·
Registered
116 Posts
markg said:
update;

?????

any ideas?

thanks,

mark
Mark, if it were me I'd ask for a grey cluster as that is how your car was originally equipped. In my case I have a '00 model so I had no choice to go to the grey cluster (which I like a lot).

--Mike

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
mottati said:
Keep us posted mark, i'd like to have my black cluster back... If bmw has gone back to black. I had mine replaced with a gray one under warranty about 2 years ago...
Mike
Now, if they could get the yellow gauge lights and the red stick light to match with the reddish orange lights everywhere else ouich.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just a little off topic - I have a friend who has a 750 who is having a pixel problem. Does anyone know if the pixel problem was unique to the M5 or not?
By the way, I had the cluster replaced on my 00 and I preferred the black guages.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Silverstreak said:
Just a little off topic - I have a friend who has a 750 who is having a pixel problem. Does anyone know if the pixel problem was unique to the M5 or not?
By the way, I had the cluster replaced on my 00 and I preferred the black guages.
The pixel problem is not unique to the M5...all 5 and 7 series cars can be affected. I had my guage cluster replaced and I'm not convinced that the replacement cluster is going to last.

--Mike

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
e39m5nut said:
The pixel problem is not unique to the M5...all 5 and 7 series cars can be affected. I had my guage cluster replaced and I'm not convinced that the replacement cluster is going to last.

--Mike
Another fun fact...

BMW redesigned the guts of the speedo cluster around 2002 to make it easier for folks to repair pixels. They did not resolve the pixel problem in any way, they just made it easier to rebuild clusters. This was amusing to me. Maybe we'll be able to fix them ourselves 10 years from now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lscman said:
Another fun fact...

BMW redesigned the guts of the speedo cluster around 2002 to make it easier for folks to repair pixels. They did not resolve the pixel problem in any way, they just made it easier to rebuild clusters. This was amusing to me. Maybe we'll be able to fix them ourselves 10 years from now.
If my cluster fails again I'm definately going to send it to www.vdorepair.com for a more permanent solution.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts