BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I am about to do an oil change for my M5, but i have read through the owner's manual and couldnt find how much engine oil do our beasts use?
I have a habit of doing an oil change every 3000km-5000km, i think its better for the engine IMO.
Do you guys do oil change yourselves?
HOw many liters of engine oil should we use to top it up??

Thank you guys very much for the input.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
My beast holds ~9.3 liters of Castrol 10W-60 and is changed every 7,500 miles. BMW's revised free maintenance schedule is a joke.

Unless you're experienced with changing dry sump systems you might leave the job to a pro.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My beast holds ~9.3 liters of Castrol 10W-60 and is changed every 7,500 miles. BMW's revised free maintenance schedule is a joke.

Unless you're experienced with changing dry sump systems you might leave the job to a pro.

Thank you so much for helping...i appreciate it..
Can we only use Castrol? i kinda like Motul for my other car..but not sure if they have 10w60 for our beasts..

Thx again
Alan

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Hi guys,
I am about to do an oil change for my M5, but i have read through the owner's manual and couldnt find how much engine oil do our beasts use?
I have a habit of doing an oil change every 3000km-5000km, i think its better for the engine IMO.
Do you guys do oil change yourselves?
HOw many liters of engine oil should we use to top it up??
Here is an excellent post on performing an oil change:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79176

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Thank you so much for helping...i appreciate it..
Can we only use Castrol? i kinda like Motul for my other car..but not sure if they have 10w60 for our beasts..

Thx again
Alan
Any 10w60 with Castrol's equivalent or better service rating can be used. I'm only aware of two 10w60s, Shell Helix and Castrol.

Use your BWMCCA card discount and negotiate a good case price at your local dealership.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
do a search.....much talked about

1 - 7 of 7 Posts