BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just recently joined M5 Board out of my curiosity with the E39 M5. I'm fairly new to BMWs, (my dad owned a E39 528i). Ever since I have driven an E39 M5, even though it was a short distance, I have been saving up to purchase one. One of the problems is that I cannot find the M5 that I personally want. I am just curious on what is the price range for a E39 M5 with anywhere from 90-130k miles, preferably anything over the 2000 model,(I just don't want to deal with all the mechanical VANOS issues and would rather have the bigger head unit screen. I'm not picky on cosmetics, not everything has to be 100% perfect, if it has a small dent or a few scratches or a small tear in a seat it isn't that big of a deal. I'm willing to learn about the S62 engine and prepared to take on maintenance expenses on the car. Colors im not really picky, preferably black or silver. Basically the car I am looking for is a 80-130k mileage car, black or silver, and a 2001-2003 model. Thanks :)

·
Registered
421 Posts
A bit of searching would yield some results...

It sounds from your post like you are looking to find a mechanically sorted but cosmetically rough example. This is not something you are likely to come across on this board. Should you find and buy an example meeting your criteria, you are likely to discover that owners who neglect their cars cosmetically tend to do the same mechanically. When you uncover the inevitable issues, this board will be your friend to help diagnose/source parts/address those issue(s).

I would say you are looking at 16-20k for a well sorted example on the lower end of your mileage. Less than that as mileage/issues/known deferred maintenance/unknowns increase. Rough examples can go for as little as 7k but you get what you pay for - parts for these cars still aren't cheap to get one running correctly.

//end rant. Good luck with your search.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help, I have been looking around on craigslist, this website and even on eBay, I do have a connect for the Manheim dealers, but i've only seen one so far there. They are really hard to find for a reasonable price, I see a lot here for 15-20k area, but I see some on Craigslist 10-15k. Maybe its just there are more enthusiasts here and just take better care of their cars.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I have been looking around on craigslist, this website and even on eBay, I do have a connect for the Manheim dealers, but i've only seen one so far there. They are really hard to find for a reasonable price, I see a lot here for 15-20k area, but I see some on Craigslist 10-15k. Maybe its just there are more enthusiasts here and just take better care of their cars.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I meant to search on this forum for what recent examples have sold for, this will give you a better understanding of the market for better sorted examples. It will also help you know what typical issues are, what to look for, what are warning signs, etc.

I myself am a newer member (18 mths), but I (and you should) always search first before asking a question. The newest of these cars are over 12 years old...so 'new' questions are a rare thing. Theres probably 100s of 'what should I pay' threads out there.

And when you find one you are interested in, google the VIN.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've actually been thinking of selling my 2003 - silver. Where are you located?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actively looking for one, can you please send info on it at melvin dot basha at gmail dot com? pics, price history etc, if you're selling of course.

Thanks,

Mel

1 - 12 of 12 Posts