BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at the bhp/tq gains of the jim c chip and price I am considering getting one of these . Being that the company is american and hence the fuel is different , lower octane i think ?. Will the chip work aswell in my uk spec m5 here in the uk with our fuel ratings ?! . Thanks again for your help.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
nickm5 said:
Looking at the bhp/tq gains of the jim c chip and price I am considering getting one of these . Being that the company is american and hence the fuel is different , lower octane i think ?. Will the chip work aswell in my uk spec m5 here in the uk with our fuel ratings ?! . Thanks again for your help.
I would consider asking the man himself on the mapping parameters for fuelling. His product has a good reputation.
It is highly likely that map will be based on 95 RON.
There used to be greater latitude on fuelling grades within the US as low as 89-91 RON in some of the upper 48 states.
You would not want to get caught with poor fuel even in a std M5 as there is no knock sensor in the head so intermittant pinking can go unoticed to those with little mechanical sympathy or inexperience.
Just ask some of those chaps who bought Jap spec Subarus into this country
designed to run on 100 RON fuel....
I think Peter Croney from Scoobysport is still rebuilding the backlog he had a while back..

Regards
Farrell

You should be fine with fuel in Europe as most is 93-95 Ron.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts