BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Individual in the USA?

• Yes, I would like more options and information from Individual in the USA.

Votes: 60 85.7%
  • BMW Individual exists in the USA today and I know most about it that I need to know. Dont need more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I am not interested in better marketing and ordering options of Individual in the USA.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • What is Individual?

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Question from Bruhnke: Does Americans want more Individual cars / options?

He asked me: where can I find out about this? Do they want this? I told him the majority of the dealers / customers in the USA does not know about BMW Indiviual offerings.

More info on Individual here: http://www.bmw.com/individual

So please answer the poll.

·
10,445 Posts
Re: Question from Bruhnke: Does Americans want more Individual cars / options?

i'd like to see more availability of the individual cars. I do know you can get some things done, with respect to colors and interiors, but you really have to have a dealer that will go the extra mile and badger bmwna. I see no real reason why the US market should not be able to get different wood trims, interior color/material choices or paint colors.
Mike

·
Registered
313 Posts

The thing BMW Individual needs to do is be able to allow US buyers the ability to order "stock" items that BMWNA says we don't want! I now have a Porsche 996 rather then a second M5 because the jerks at NA decided that I didn't want the options that I wanted. Individual couldn't get them for me since they were "stock" items everywhere else in the world! I'd have payed but NA wouldn't even entertain that! NA wouldn't OK my options (already had them on my first M5) so I cancelled the car and bought a Porsche. I have not regretted it. It would have been my 7th BMW in a row. Now I consider P-cars vs BMWs, rather then "which" new BMW. Not very smart marketing!

My question: Why is the hosehead at BMWNA that made this rule still employed there?

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Very interesting. If it is read by the correct person now it might be corrected in the near future since BMW M should expand worldwide.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts

Stem said:
The thing BMW Individual needs to do is be able to allow US buyers the ability to order "stock" items that BMWNA says we don't want! I now have a Porsche 996 rather then a second M5 because the jerks at NA decided that I didn't want the options that I wanted. Individual couldn't get them for me since they were "stock" items everywhere else in the world! I'd have payed but NA wouldn't even entertain that! NA wouldn't OK my options (already had them on my first M5) so I cancelled the car and bought a Porsche. I have not regretted it. It would have been my 7th BMW in a row. Now I consider P-cars vs BMWs, rather then "which" new BMW. Not very smart marketing!

My question: Why is the hosehead at BMWNA that made this rule still employed there?
Could you elaborate which options you wanted?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

kees said:
Could you elaborate which options you wanted?
I cant believe any sales person would be so dum as to not have a paying customer get what he wanted if he is willing to pay.. Weird...

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Gustav,

I very much like the idea of actually PROMOTING the BMW Individual program here in the US. Just trying to get information and dealership cooporation in an attempt to order an option not listed for my '03 M3 was pure torture. To it's credit, BMW NA did step in and try to correct the situation. The head of customer service even would have let me add the item after the car had been delivered to the PC in South Carolina at just the cost of the option, but the necessary wiring harness was just not there.

An informed sales staff/dealership would have saved all the hours I spent dealing with this issue. Don't even get me going on how I had to arrange my own Performance Center delivery for the M3 almost on my own :rolleyes:

I was lucky enough to visit Australia in April of '03 and went to a BMW dealership there. The Individual program seemed to be well promoted there--brochures, paint chip and interior material samples were all on display. Of course in the US we would probably have to push another accept button on the the nav screen so we would agree not to sue BMW if we chose butt-ugly color combos for our cars or something :1: :1: :1:

Thanks!

Anita

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I voted the same as I did in the E60 forum.

As for options. I agree- let us have them all. But- we have got to understand that we get our cars from BMW NA, which is an importer. They work with BMW AG, the manufacturer, to come up with option packages (eg- sports package, M audio, etc). The rest of the world sometimes does not get that nomenclature. The reason NA has to come up with these packages is because of the prevalence of leasing and trading cars. When a car comes off a lease, usually the dealer ends up with the car in some capacity. If every car was somewhat different from the next, you would have headaches with both sales and service. That said- I think NA could work out some kind of deal for individual options. Perhaps do an "individual package" where the more popular options are included and this would include your choice of an individual color- kind of like what MB does with its designo packages.

·
Registered
654 Posts
individuality is everything when buying an expensive car. I think it would be very wise for BMW NA to offer the services of BMW Individual. I know for a fact that it would generate a ton of excitement for the brand and will without a question bolster sales.

ernie

·
Registered
444 Posts
I tried to go the other way when I ordered my M5 - I wanted to delete the sunroof and the nav system. These requests were non-starters with BMW, even though it was my understanding that these were options for European-ordered cars.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
791 Posts
My opinion is that North American customers should indeed have the option to select from the Individual Program, just as in Europe and elsewhere in the World. BMW are individual cars, and frankly, becoming more and more expensive, as such they should be more tailored to the owners if they so desire.
Being hearded together without any choice is what Mercedes does for its customers, "okay, would you like your car in silver or black? Oh, blue? That will cost extra!"

cheers,
K

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now this thread is sent to press responsible at BMW Sweden and hopefully it will reach Bruhnke throug the hierarchical echeleons.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
RRoberts said:
I tried to go the other way when I ordered my M5 - I wanted to delete the sunroof and the nav system. These requests were non-starters with BMW, even though it was my understanding that these were options for European-ordered cars.

Regards, Dick Roberts
actually over here nav atleast was an option, dont know about the sunroof though..

Hopefully BMW can make a good decision considering the people on this board are extremely well paying customers.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

When I was shopping for a new M5 in 2003 I had no clue as to what "Individual" was- the local dealer wasn't interested in ordering a car- just wanted to sell the next one he had coming in.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
"Sunroof delete" would be a very popular option for folks focused on performance & handling. "Unique" performance-oriented customers scour the market looking for cars without sunroofs in the USA. In fact, an M3, Porsche or Mustang will fetch a higher dollar with no sunroof. Sightings of 5er cars with no sunroof create quite a stir here! I can vouch for the notion that E39 was sold in the USA with no sunroof...at least one has been confirmed (525i). I suspect a couple early strippo lot cars were shipped over here. Dealers only want to sell loaded up cars, it's that simple. Yet 5er buyers want such an option...as it generated more envy on forums than a loaded M5 could. It's not for everybody, but I think that's the idea (individual). Speaking for myself, I would strongly prefer a 5er with no sunroof.

I suspect many would check the "delete box" even if there was no credit (price reduction). This may be the key to program success...creating "individual" vehicles to satisfy the consumer's unique needs, at the customer's expense.

How hard can it be to offer the M with a sunroof delete option when base 5er cars are sold in Europe in that trim?

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts
Lscman said:
"Sunroof delete" would be a very popular option for folks focused on performance & handling. "Unique" performance-oriented customers scour the market looking for cars without sunroofs in the USA. In fact, an M3, Porsche or Mustang will fetch a higher dollar with no sunroof.
Sunroof delete only makes sense if you intend to utilze the car for heavy track use - in which case you'll likely want to install a rollcage too. For an E39 I don't really see that making sense...

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Additinaly, a sunroof adds weight at the worst possible place, bad for cornering.

Lscman said:
"Sunroof delete" would be a very popular option for folks focused on performance & handling. "Unique" performance-oriented customers scour the market looking for cars without sunroofs in the USA. In fact, an M3, Porsche or Mustang will fetch a higher dollar with no sunroof. Sightings of 5er cars with no sunroof create quite a stir here! I can vouch for the notion that E39 was sold in the USA with no sunroof...at least one has been confirmed (525i). I suspect a couple early strippo lot cars were shipped over here. Dealers only want to sell loaded up cars, it's that simple. Yet 5er buyers want such an option...as it generated more envy on forums than a loaded M5 could. It's not for everybody, but I think that's the idea (individual). Speaking for myself, I would strongly prefer a 5er with no sunroof.

I suspect many would check the "delete box" even if there was no credit (price reduction). This may be the key to program success...creating "individual" vehicles to satisfy the consumer's unique needs, at the customer's expense.

How hard can it be to offer the M with a sunroof delete option when base 5er cars are sold in Europe in that trim?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Gustav said:
Additinaly, a sunroof adds weight at the worst possible place, bad for cornering.
Yes, but I use a sun roof to look for California Highway Patrol aircraft doing aerial speed enforcement....

Unfortunately neither a V1 or Lidatek will detect a cop measuring your time between two known highway markers!

I am dead serious- I regularly include a complete overhead scan when I am... er, when I have cause to be concerned with speed enforcement.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts