BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M5 makes a bang noise when the rear suspension bounces hard over very abrupt bumps at highway speeds. Only does it over few of them, I can usually tell if it will do it just by the shape of the bump. To me it sounds as if something is moved/thrown up and down ( I suspect something like the mobility kit or the middle rear brake light). Last time I brought it to the dealer they said it's normal,it's the shocks because the M45 is so stiffly sprung. Today I drove the loaner 135i over the same bumps that cause this noise and the little 135i reacted to those bumps with more poise than the M5. Much less noise and drama. Mind you the 135i has the M-Sport package with the stiffer suspension and 18s and obviously it had nowhere near the insulation that the M5 has and yet it was much quieter. Now, how do I make it more clear to the dealer that the M should be quieter over bumps than the 135i? Do you agree that that should be the case?

Thx

·
Registered
267 Posts
My M5 makes a bang noise when the rear suspension bounces hard over very abrupt bumps at highway speeds. Only does it over few of them, I can usually tell if it will do it just by the shape of the bump. To me it sounds as if something is moved/thrown up and down ( I suspect something like the mobility kit or the middle rear brake light). Last time I brought it to the dealer they said it's normal,it's the shocks because the M45 is so stiffly sprung. Today I drove the loaner 135i over the same bumps that cause this noise and the little 135i reacted to those bumps with more poise than the M5. Much less noise and drama. Mind you the 135i has the M-Sport package with the stiffer suspension and 18s and obviously it had nowhere near the insulation that the M5 has and yet it was much quieter. Now, how do I make it more clear to the dealer that the M should be quieter over bumps than the 135i? Do you agree that that should be the case?

Thx
Sounds like something bumps up then down in the trunk right? I get it too. I had it in my E46 M3 as well. Had both cars checked. Found nothing. So I just don't worry about it any more and just chalk it up to a "M" noise. I notice it is less noticable when I am in "comfort" mode. I guess due to the softer setting.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the same thing

Sounds like something bumps up then down in the trunk right? I get it too. I had it in my E46 M3 as well. Had both cars checked. Found nothing. So I just don't worry about it any more and just chalk it up to a "M" noise. I notice it is less noticable when I am in "comfort" mode. I guess due to the softer setting.
But in mine, it's more prominent in comfort mode as the car is probably more bouncy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have experienced the same noise from the rear when going over speed bumps recently.. interestingly it only started occuring after i had the vehicle in at the dealers for a couple of days for a guide bush/bearing replacement. thought it maybe the exhaust not put back on right but nothing obvious showing when looking under the car.. try to replicate the noise by pushing down on the car but no luck.. very annoying and would love to identify the cause..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts