BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was about to wash my beast today when I realized water could easily sneak in behind that plastic fog light cover and easily damage the xenon ballast I had mounted directly inside behind the fog lamp.

My question is, where should I mount the ballast to avoid damage from water? Or do I have to remove the fog lamp and ballast everytime I decide it's time to wash?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Amir M5 said:
I was about to wash my beast today when I realized water could easily sneak in behind that plastic fog light cover and easily damage the xenon ballast I had mounted directly inside behind the fog lamp.

My question is, where should I mount the ballast to avoid damage from water? Or do I have to remove the fog lamp and ballast everytime I decide it's time to wash?
I had a CATZ HID set up on my truck in the past. We mounted the ballasts right behind the front grill. So it was exposed to weather and water, it never failed. This kit was made in Japan it was excellent quality. I would check with where you bought your HID kit from or ask the mfgr of the kit if you know.

GB

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I mounted my ballast units on sides of the inside front bumper. It's been there for years and through numerous car washes. I've never had any issues with them going bad on me.

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Amir M5 said:
I had my recently installed ballasts mounted on the inside of the front bumper at the outside portion, as suggested in the instructions. I was having intermittant "check foglight" message. Turns out of one the ballasts fell off, the double sided sticky tape not working too well. I repositioned it under the fog light on what feels like a little lip on the inside of the bumper. Keeping fingers crossed, but so far, no problem. I think that is a better location and will move the other ballast if I have any problemsI have had no water issues after washing the car a bunch of times, you are not putting a high pressure hose directly on the ballast, so I wouldn't be too concerned.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Amir M5,

I have had the HID fogs for 3 years with no issues with water. I realize I lived in S.CA. for the 2 1/2 years where the only rain that regularly fell was from the sprinkler systems, but it did get washed as opposed to dusted every once in a while.

Now here in Houston, where I have installed a snorkel to the air intake :rolleyes: , just kidding, I get plenty of the liquid stuff on my car.

Oh yes, where was I going with all of this. I installed the ballasts on the lip, directly behind the foglights. I have never had any issues with water. Be very careful when you pull the foglight cover away from the lower air dam. With all of the small rocks and debris that collect there over time, it will scratch your air dam when you pull it away if you are not careful.

I am sure the HID foglights have improved in ease of installation since I purchased mine. I had to run a seperate power and ground wire for each ballast. This was no easy endevor if you wanted to make it clean.

It was well worth the effort for this great upgrade. Yes, I get the foglight warning in the car, but no big deal.

Mark

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
MAH said:
I am sure the HID foglights have improved in ease of installation since I purchased mine. I had to run a seperate power and ground wire for each ballast. This was no easy endevor if you wanted to make it clean.

It was well worth the effort for this great upgrade. Yes, I get the foglight warning in the car, but no big deal.

Mark[/QUOTE

The quality looks good and it is all now plug and play. I am hoping that my problem was just a bad connection from the car wiring loom to the ballast caused by the ballast being loose. I am getting pretty good at pulling that foglight bezel off for access though! :)
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts