BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

What do you guys use to do an engine flush prior to an oil change to clean out any sludge or any crap that shouldn't be in our expensive engines? hmmm I performed a search and couldn't find anything. I know about the Lubro Moly products to clean things out but does anyone use anything else and perhaps something that may be more common/easier to find? The Lubro Moly products are hard to find in Canada. I have used the Bardahl and Gunk and Prestone Engine Flush products on my other vehicles. Should I avoid these products?

Thanks in advance!:M5launch:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
I don't use or trust any of these products. If you use approved oil and change it at least as frequently as the service lights require (most of us do a change 1/2 way thru, i.e. 2x as often as minimally required), you shouldn't need any of this stuff. My worry would be damaging the seals and other soft parts inside the engine.

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yellow sludge

I'm thinking about doing this because last time I checked the oil, there was some yellow gunky sludge-like crap on the dip stick.

Any comments about this? I purchased my car in December and want to do an oil change asap.

Also is the Oil pan Plug deep set? i.e. do I need a special deep socket to remove it?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I'm thinking about doing this because last time I checked the oil, there was some yellow gunky sludge-like crap on the dip stick.

Any comments about this? I purchased my car in December and want to do an oil change asap.

Also is the Oil pan Plug deep set? i.e. do I need a special deep socket to remove it?

Thanks again!
I second the opinionthat I wouldnt put any "flushes" through my Beast. Regular oil change is just fine.

As far as actually doing...you really don't need to overthink this. Oil change on the M5 is about as easy as it gets. The plug is not recessed. It is under a small "trap door" underneath the car...directly unde the engine.

Brian

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
There should be NO POSSIBLE NEED FOR AN ENGINE FLUSH. If so, actually deciding on the flush product will be the very least of your future worries!

DO A USED OIL ANALYSIS, or "UOA". Do a search. Drain the oil, take a sample of 2-3 oz mid stream and see what condition it is in. Fill with new oil. Repeat in 5k miles. Find out what your engine is doing.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you are really keen on flushing your engine, fill it with a basic mineral multi grade, drive it round the block a few times, drain the system again, then fill it with the proper spec synthetic

·
Registered
936 Posts
I don't flush mine either, just get the oil hot and drain it.

I too change the oil in between services - I think that's all the flushing it needs.

I don't know what would be the cause of the sludge though, perhaps the dip stick was wet when it was put back in?

Richie.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Thanks again!
The yellow residue is likely the result of short trips where the engine does not have time to fully warm up. Water condensation mixes with the oil and creates that yellow film. Try taking the car for a 30 minute drive and see if the residue goes away.

Dave

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Metric socket, std. size is fine, no need for a deep one. I don't recall the size offhand but for some reason think it's 13mm. Be sure to replace the drain plug seal with a new one that will come with the replacement oil filter kit (filter, large O ring for canister cover, and drain plug seal). DO NOT CROSS-THREAD or OVER-TORQUE the drain plug. The pan is aluminum and strips fairly easily.

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys for all of your input. I'll forgoe doing any sort of flush and I hope the yellow crap will disappear.

Cheers!

·
Registered
555 Posts
+1 with draining while it's very hot...wear gloves!! Since it's the 1st oil change since noticing the sludge, I would change the oil again maybe at 2k miles and then go to your regular schedule.

Jeff

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it hand tighten and 1/8 turn to tighten the Oil plug?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 with draining while it's very hot...wear gloves!! Since it's the 1st oil change since noticing the sludge, I would change the oil again maybe at 2k miles and then go to your regular schedule.

Jeff
I agree with this whole heartedly. I only drain the oil when it is hot. I've done a lot of oil changes on other vehicles but I like your suggestion with doing a short service interval to make sure the crap gets removed.

Cheers!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've read that if you are going to do some fuel system cleaning (like using a bottle of Techron on your next fillup) you should do that before changing the oil.

Is that true?

If so, I would do that before you change the oil to get any of the junk from the fuel cleaning into the old oil before you change it.

Of course if you are gonna do another change soon after this one you might not need to worry about that.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've read that if you are going to do some fuel system cleaning (like using a bottle of Techron on your next fillup) you should do that before changing the oil.

Is that true?

If so, I would do that before you change the oil to get any of the junk from the fuel cleaning into the old oil before you change it.

Of course if you are gonna do another change soon after this one you might not need to worry about that.

Ian, I think you're a bit confused with the valve/lifter cleaning products that you pour into the crank case to mix with the oil. You would defintely do that prior to an oil change.

You would pour the fuel system cleaning products into the fuel tank to clean the injectors and lines and maybe the combustion chamber a little. There are separate products to clean out your combustion chamber like seafoam. BMW also has their own combustion cleaning product. They make a great smoke show after you start to burn it off!!!!:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
193 Posts
No, I know it sounds strange that a fuel system additive would have any bearing on the oiling system but the theory is that the additive (or maybe the contaminants it creates during cleaning) will leak past the rings and get into the oil.

That's the condensed version. I did some searches and couldn't find much on this board about it except the consensus is that the guys who use Techron do it before the oil change.

I don't know the odds of this happeneing and don't want to start another oil argument, but that's been the general recommendations that I've seen.
I figure if you've already got crap in the oil and you're about to change it, might as well run some Techron through a tank of gas too before the change just in case. Or wait until you are about to change it next time and do it.

I did some Google searches on Techron and oil change and came up with some stuff. Here's an example:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef047b3/41

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, I know it sounds strange that a fuel system additive would have any bearing on the oiling system but the theory is that the additive (or maybe the contaminants it creates during cleaning) will leak past the rings and get into the oil.

That's the condensed version. I did some searches and couldn't find much on this board about it except the consensus is that the guys who use Techron do it before the oil change.

I don't know the odds of this happeneing and don't want to start another oil argument, but that's been the general recommendations that I've seen.
I figure if you've already got crap in the oil and you're about to change it, might as well run some Techron through a tank of gas too before the change just in case. Or wait until you are about to change it next time and do it.

If the additives are leaking into the oil, fuel is also leaking into you oil and you'll f-up your engine in no time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
No, it's right there on Teh Intarwebz.
If it's on Google it has to be true.

Seriously though, I'm only trying to be helpful and won't argue about it.
There are probably just as many people who will argue it doesn't matter.
I was merely suggesting doing a fuel additive before the oil change if that was something you wanted to do. I'll leave it at that!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No, it's right there on Teh Intarwebz.
If it's on Google it has to be true.

Seriously though, I'm only trying to be helpful and won't argue about it.
There are probably just as many people who will argue it doesn't matter.
I was merely suggesting doing a fuel additive before the oil change if that was something you wanted to do. I'll leave it at that!

LOL, sounds good IanS. I really appreciate it. Cheers!

BTW IanS. check out http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html for some great info on where to buy fuel and why to help eliminate the need for Techron.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts