BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of BBS style 5 wheels that came with my recently purchased E34 M5. These were oem on the E39. Size 17x8. Just ordered a set of hub rings and clips from the Tire Rack. I'm not sure that they're the right size. They're PFS ring for BBS wheels 82/72.5. They look much thinner than the rings shown on this page:

BMW E34 Website

Dude on the phone from the tire rack was kind of an idiot. They seem to fit the inner hub of the bbs style 5s but I'm just wondering what rings you guys use?
TIA

·
10,456 Posts
the e39 hub is 74.1mm, the e34 is 72.56. That should be the OD/ID of the rings.

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rings I have look like the first ones that you posted. 82-72.6. They're BBS ones. I thought I needed rings like the second type. Just wondering why the first ones look so much "thinner" than the second ones. Thanks got your help!

·
10,456 Posts
The wheels are BBS but they were OEM fitment on the E39
then they should have a 74.1 mm center bore.

assuming OE BMW style 5 = bbs rc090 or something like that (which is what is on my son's 528, oe for the sport package)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
then they should have a 74.1 mm center bore.

assuming OE BMW style 5 = bbs rc090 or something like that (which is what is on my son's 528, oe for the sport package)
Yeah I think you're right. Those are the wheels; BBS RC090 Style 5 17X8. That's what I told the dude on the phone too. 72.5-74.1. He kept asking me about the outer diameter and said that they were 82. I didn't think that was right. I'm pretty sure the idiot sent me the wrong ones.

Question: will any 74.1-72.5 hub ring work? What about the BBS ones makes them specific to the wheels?

·
10,456 Posts
Question: will any 74.1-72.5 hub ring work? What about the BBS ones makes them specific to the wheels?
i'd think any ring would work. Many on eBay are plastic, and i've not had good luck with those.

Reactions: davidoli

·
Registered
171 Posts
No matter if the rings are plastic or metal they're still thin enough to deform with even one use. The plastic work fine for my E39 wheels on my E34 Touring but I make sure I use a new set every time a wheel comes off so I keep new ones in the toolbox. The rings really only center the wheel properly and that shouldn't change once the lug nuts are tightened. The plastic will crack from age though if you use them for an extended period.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah just had my winter style 5s put on yesterday. The idiots at the tire rack sent me the wrong ones. Fortunately I picked up a set of 74.1-72.6 plastic rings last week and they worked just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts