BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following the MAF testing threads as well as the MAF group buy threads, and have a couple of questions. I tested the MAFS as outlined in David's post and saw 91 l/h in 2nd gear at the rev limiter (raised w/ Dinan software). My 5 has 51000+ miles, but I have a third party "platinum" warranty (Mercury/Corpmsc/AAA) w/ no deductible. There is no SES light, and the usual "grunt" does not seem to be noticeably decreased. How can I approach the BMW service advisor about a possible MAF failure to get them tested and replaced ? If I tell him I did the fuel flow test, will he hold that against me? I realize that the MAFs in the group buy are fairly inexpensive, but I did pay a good penny for the warranty and would like to take advantage of it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
784 Posts
dannyc said:
I have been following the MAF testing threads as well as the MAF group buy threads, and have a couple of questions. I tested the MAFS as outlined in David's post and saw 91 l/h in 2nd gear at the rev limiter (raised w/ Dinan software). My 5 has 51000+ miles, but I have a third party "platinum" warranty (Mercury/Corpmsc/AAA) w/ no deductible. There is no SES light, and the usual "grunt" does not seem to be noticeably decreased. How can I approach the BMW service advisor about a possible MAF failure to get them tested and replaced ? If I tell him I did the fuel flow test, will he hold that against me? I realize that the MAFs in the group buy are fairly inexpensive, but I did pay a good penny for the warranty and would like to take advantage of it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I can not see why he/they would hold it against you. If anything it will put them on notice that you are keenly aware of your car as such may not just blow you off.

They are many folks with hand scanners that regularly look after their gals..... I suspect that you will be seen in the same light....

It should be fine.

Takes care

Shadowman

·
10,458 Posts
personally, i think if you go to a dealer service dept with a somewhat vague complaint "car not as strong as it should be" with no fault codes and with no obvious defect, you'll get nothing from them. They'll probably give you some line about that test not being indicative of a bad mafs, they'll point out that there is no code for a mafs problem and say 'test drove, car is behaving normally'. I think the burden of proof would be on you to get anything done, unless you have an extremely progressive service dept/tech/advisor. The modern bmw dealership, in my experience, is very fault code focused.
It even extends to other issues. I had a 528 with a mild shimmy, brought it in numerous times. One r/o the tech writes 'i test drove the car, i could feel a slight shimmy, but it was so minor i'm surprised anyone would notice it, but i ballanced front tires anyway'
Mike

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
This is just my personal opinion, but I have found that when it comes to M cars, not all the people at the dealership actually know what the car should should and should not do. You'll have the 1 or 2 people who are designated "M Experts" but the majority of people take them as they see them, and without the presence of fault codes they take the car as being right and the customer as being paranoid. Also they dont drive them as often as we do, and probably dont know what an M5 is suppose to go like.

If you were to drive 2-3 M5's side by side, you will soon notice the ones that dont run as they should. One instance that I recall is when my BMW dealer mechanic friend brought an M5 home from the lot. When you drove it you could just tell that it was running as well as it should do, it pulled mighty hard. Now hop into another M5 the next day, and it just did not have that same 'butt feel' that the previous one did, and sure enough, after having driven a 'proper' performing M5, they diagnosed some fault (cant remember what it was now - probably maf / o2 problem) and then the car ran much better.

So If you know someone who has an M5 like yours and is running right (or so you think) then perhaps take him with you to the dealer and get an M savvy tech to drive one then the other and it will perhaps add weight to your argument that it is not running right... the fuel flow test should be enough, given that if you are getting 91 and a healthy M5 should flow around the 140's it should be plain to see ;)

I was flowing 114 and are now flowing in the 140's, and you can really notice the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts