BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Last friday my dad was out having a test drive in the new M5, it went really well. :wroom:

Anyways, the bmw guys who were out driving with him had zero knowledge about Launch Control. As there were no manual in the car my dad tried a few different things at the redlights.. He could press the "M" button on the wheel, and then push the stick forward, and the car would rev up to 4200 rpm. But when he released the stick again (after the lights turned green :blabla: ), the car behaved exactly as he expected, though he had to change gears with the shift pads! That was a bit unexpected, because as far as we have seen on videos the car changed fully automaticly when using Launch Control.

My guess is that he forgot to do a few more tasks in the car for it to work properly, or maybe you just have to shift gears yourself using Launch Control?? Can anyone help us out with this little question? Thanks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi MortonDK

What is written in the manual:
1. Switch OFF Dynamic Stability control
2. Choose seq. mode with drivelogic program 6
3. Change to program "P 500"
4. When the car stands still put the stick forward and hold it
5. push the throttle through (electronic adjusts the optimal starting speed automatically)
6. As soon as you release the stick the car accelerates (Keep pushing the throttle fully through)
7. The car is changing gears automatically to top speed
Personally I did not try it so far as I "only" have made 4100 km with my car.

...Have fun with another test drive!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot then :M5thumbs:

What is exactly the function of the "M" button on the steering wheel then?

·
Registered
82 Posts
MortenDK said:
Thanks a lot then :M5thumbs:

What is exactly the function of the "M" button on the steering wheel then?
With this button you can activate/deactivate the the presettings for the MDrive. You have to change them with the iDrive and see it at Control Display.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tifosi said:
someone is not doing their homework :nono:

:p
I got my exams to worry about, my dad (and mom) are very busy with their brewery so.... :)

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
MortenDK said:
I got my exams to worry about, my dad (and mom) are very busy with their brewery so.... :)
Brewery???

Group meeting at yours!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
I was actually surprised that during LC it shifted automatically. When I did LC I shifted with the pads, not knowing I needed to :confused2

Also it states in the press releases as well that it shifts autmatically in LC up to top speed :flag:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is the LC only activated by pushing the stick forward or can you push one of the paddles forward for the same effect? Paddles would make more sense, at least to me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Tom_K said:
Is the LC only activated by pushing the stick forward or can you push one of the paddles forward for the same effect? Paddles would make more sense, at least to me.
Only with the stick.

But my method with the kickdown is working too!

·
Registered
867 Posts
You will also find that LC is very sensitive to clutch and engine temp - it won't work if you have been driving hard..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts