BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a job offer in Durham, NC. I'm not sure I will take it yet, but what do you guys do with your M5 in the winter? Drive it anyway? Snow tires? Forget about it and drive the SUV? Mine is a daily driver currently.

Thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'm a student at Wake Forest University and if you're not familiar with Wake or NC it is in Winston-Salem, NC about an hour west of the Raleigh/Durham area. My M5 spends most of its time at my home in Atlanta though and I keep a 3 series here at school to drive. I've expereicned two winters up here so far and its my opinion that you wouldn't have trouble driving your M5 here in the winter. The winters are very mild and we dont receive much snow at all. In my experience there hasn't been a need to put winter tires on or anything like that. This year in Winston we didn't get but a dusting of snow. Raleigh had a freak, one day storm and got maybe 5ish inches (if I remember correctly), but it only lasted a day before it melted. I have been able to get everywhere I needed to go in my car with normal tires no matter what time of year. In NC, and the South in general, the scary part is not the weather... In this part of the world we don't know how to drive in snow since its only around for a few hours/days a year, so the problem is the drivers, not the weather.

KevinM said:
I'm considering a job offer in Durham, NC. I'm not sure I will take it yet, but what do you guys do with your M5 in the winter? Drive it anyway? Snow tires? Forget about it and drive the SUV? Mine is a daily driver currently.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vossen10 said:
I'm a student at Wake Forest University and if you're not familiar with Wake or NC it is in Winston-Salem, NC about an hour west of the Raleigh/Durham area. My M5 spends most of its time at my home in Atlanta though and I keep a 3 series here at school to drive. I've expereicned two winters up here so far and its my opinion that you wouldn't have trouble driving your M5 here in the winter. The winters are very mild and we dont receive much snow at all. In my experience there hasn't been a need to put winter tires on or anything like that. This year in Winston we didn't get but a dusting of snow. Raleigh had a freak, one day storm and got maybe 5ish inches (if I remember correctly), but it only lasted a day before it melted. I have been able to get everywhere I needed to go in my car with normal tires no matter what time of year. In NC, and the South in general, the scary part is not the weather... In this part of the world we don't know how to drive in snow since its only around for a few hours/days a year, so the problem is the drivers, not the weather.
Thanks for the information! This is reassuring...not that I will decide about the job based on my M5!:biggrin: (I think!)

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Kevin,

My office is in my home, and I don't have to commute everyday fotunately, so I never drive the M5 in snow. Heck, I try not to drive it in rain either :hihi: . However, I know a guy in MD that has Pilot Sport A/S tires who drives his M5 year-round without any apparent issues (and they get a heck of a lot more snow than this area). The ultra-high performance all-seasons, like the A/S', available now are pretty darn good tires. I have some on my 850R, so that gets the snow duty when/if we have any. When the OEM's wear out on my wife's V70R, I'll probably put Pilot Sport A/S tires on it too. There will only be a few days in any given year (and maybe none) where you would need to worry about bad weather. In general, the sun is the snowplow around here on secondary roads. :)

This is a wonderful area of the country to live. With I-540 open across the north part of Raleigh now, you have a wide range of choices of where to live if you work in Durham or RTP that are outside of Durham. New developement in this area is incredible. The best part about it is that VIR will only be an hour away from you. :cool: Let me know if I can answer any questions about living in this area. I first came to Raleigh from Atlanta in 1977 to attend N.C. State, and excepting about 8 years, have lived here since.

Chuck

·
Registered
287 Posts
I live in Columbia, SC and i drove my M5 last winter without snow tires. We get maybe one snow storm a year, and its hardly a snow storm. The only thing we do get down here is ice but its only once or twice. The car perfromed great. And i agree with Vossen10. The drivers are definatly the worse part of the equation. Everyone down here thinks that cars and pickup trucks were made to go 70 on a sheet of ice.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I live in Charlotte and it snows about once a year...I took it out in it once it didn't go well but made it around the corner and back :)...other than that it's fine.

I would not go to Durham though. If you want a job in NC Charlotte is the place to be.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Here comes the Charlotte//RTP fight. :1: I've lived in both places...much prefer Raleigh, especially if you don't like massive traffic.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies and kind offers regarding further information.

The proposed job is at Duke so this obviously determines where I look for housing...

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
CSBM5 said:
Here comes the Charlotte//RTP fight. :1: I've lived in both places...much prefer Raleigh, especially if you don't like massive traffic.

Put um up boy I'll kill ya
:byee55amg cherrsagai

How long ago did you live in Charlotte? it's changing so fast now you may be surprised by what you see.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
1988-1992...but my wife is from there (my daughter was born there), so we visit all the time (i.e. last time was in March). Since 1992 both Charlotte and Raleigh look like different places -- that part is for sure.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
CSBM5 said:
1988-1992...but my wife is from there (my daughter was born there), so we visit all the time (i.e. last time was in March). Since 1992 both Charlotte and Raleigh look like different places -- that part is for sure.
I dont' want to hijack the thread, but I do just want to say I can see arguments for each city, depending on the type of person you are of course thats the main reason to argue for either in my mind. When I was in Raligh, what I saw didnt' impress me but i could see it be a good fit for others.(not a negitive intention there).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts