BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Houston M5 guys,

I commute into the 610 loop Galleria area every day on the 290. I see at least 30% to 40% of the cars in the HOV lanes with just the driver in the car. Is there some legal way to use those lanes with just the driver or are all of these people just taking the risk? I find it hard to believe that that many people would be just risking a pretty big ticket.

Perhaps it is an issue of getting in the HOV lanes in the very begining off of the freeway and not through a park and ride lot. They certainly are not checking at the end of the HOV lanes or there would be a traffic tie up with all of the tickets being written.

Thanks for the feedback,

Mark

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mark-

From ridemetro.org:

"Vehicles Not Allowed on HOV Lanes
1. Single Occupant Vehicles.*
2. Vehicles towing trailers of any sort.
3. Trucks with more than two axles or a gross weight capacity of one ton or greater.

*Periodically, METRO allows cars with a single occupant on a portion of the HOV network. These temporary exceptions will be posted at the appropriate Park & Ride lots."

I have no idea what exceptions are in place, but it's worth a look. Another suggestion: move closer.

TexasM5

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the answer. You can apply for a sticker with a "SOV" form (single occupent vehicle). You would pay like you were riding the bus but you get to drive instead.

Works for me.

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
OK Mark, you better watch out for those HOV lanes :D

I was catching up on some reading and saw an article in the WSJ titled. "HOV Lanes Linked to Rise In Car Crashes."

Quote, "Why might HOV lanes cause accidents? When the lanes are not separated by concrete barriers, drivers often illegally weave between the regular and HOV lanes, says Scott Conner....Texas Transportation Institute.. What is more, drivers stuck in gridlock tend to be resentful of the fast-moving HOV traffic and won't let drivers merge from the high-speed lanes back ont the regular freeway, causing accidents." "Some wonder if special factors might be responsible for the rise in crashes after HOV lanes wre built in Dallas, a place that lng has had a reputation for aggressive driving."

Do you see any of this down your way? We don't even have HOV lanes around here..yet hiha Out of the city a little bit, folks can't even figure out who's turn it is at a 4 way stop, if more then 4 or 5 cars show up--I've been teaching them though :haha:

Anita

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anita said:
OK Mark, you better watch out for those HOV lanes :D

I was catching up on some reading and saw an article in the WSJ titled. "HOV Lanes Linked to Rise In Car Crashes."

Quote, "Why might HOV lanes cause accidents? When the lanes are not separated by concrete barriers, drivers often illegally weave between the regular and HOV lanes, says Scott Conner....Texas Transportation Institute.. What is more, drivers stuck in gridlock tend to be resentful of the fast-moving HOV traffic and won't let drivers merge from the high-speed lanes back ont the regular freeway, causing accidents." "Some wonder if special factors might be responsible for the rise in crashes after HOV lanes wre built in Dallas, a place that lng has had a reputation for aggressive driving."

Do you see any of this down your way? We don't even have HOV lanes around here..yet hiha Out of the city a little bit, folks can't even figure out who's turn it is at a 4 way stop, if more then 4 or 5 cars show up--I've been teaching them though :haha:

Anita
I wished I lived in a place that did not need HOV lanes. Most of the HOV lanes here are seperated with the cement barriers. I have not incountered a problem with merging back into traffic.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had no idea you could get a single occupant vehicle pass thanks for the info Mark. Didn't you move from California out to Texas? I did 4 yrs ago and the HOV lanes seemed to help but not that much and I was always in fear of someone crossing the line when they weren't supposed to. Anyway after being in LA for 4yrs, Houston doesn't seem that bad to me but I will remember the sticker trick just the same, thanks.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oUSC said:
I had no idea you could get a single occupant vehicle pass thanks for the info Mark. Didn't you move from California out to Texas? I did 4 yrs ago and the HOV lanes seemed to help but not that much and I was always in fear of someone crossing the line when they weren't supposed to. Anyway after being in LA for 4yrs, Houston doesn't seem that bad to me but I will remember the sticker trick just the same, thanks.
Been back here a year after living in S.CA. for 17 years. Traffic is not as bad here but you think it is just as bad because you forget what it was like back in CA.

Hope the tip for the HOV works for you.

Mark

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
MAH said:
I wished I lived in a place that did not need HOV lanes. Most of the HOV lanes here are seperated with the cement barriers. I have not incountered a problem with merging back into traffic.
Unfortunately because of the continued growth around here, especially in the outlying small towns, the roads have reached their limits in many cases. The highways were designed for the traffic patterns like 20 yrs ago. They've been trying to add lanes, etc with mixed success. About 2 years ago we got those lights that regulate when you can enter the beltline and yes they do have HOV type lanes at those entrances.

The example I jokingly gave about the four way stop shows how folks are used to the "country style" of driving. Each person arriving at the signs takes his/her turn, so instead of two cars coming from opposite directions going at the same time, they wait for their turn. Nobody will double up either to turn right while another car goes straight. The cars get really backed up.

Like you say, it's all just a matter of what you are used to. And unfortunately I did 3 years of NorCal bay area traffic so I can bring up bad memories when I start to complain about things around here :D

Good luck around there!

Anita

1 - 8 of 8 Posts