BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Question for E39 M5 owners

13K views 55 replies 51 participants last post by  Nvable 
#1 ·
I've been reading the MB for nearly a year now and will be ordering my M5 shortly. On the board, you read a lot of great things about the car and you read about some problems with the car. This leads me to my 2 questions for E39 M5 owners.

1. Overall, is anyone disappointed with their M5?

2. If you had to do it all over again, would you buy an M5 or would you buy something else?

Thanks in advance.

RyanC

#2 ·
I'd definitely buy the E39 M5 again. The only disappointment I have found is the range of the garage door opener! (Clearly one of the biggest disappointments in my life <g>!)

A few observations about my feelings towards the car -- your preferences may make these comments helpful or totally irrelevant.

The car is fast. No, make that FAST.
The car is quiet and smooth.
the car is full of luxury (Exclusive interior) or sporty touches (Sportive interior).
The car will not disappoint.

However, the car is different than its predecessor M5s. In getting smoother and quieter it gives up some of the driver envolvemnt and racer's edge that my E34 M5 had. I've heard owners of the E28 M5 describe the change to the E34 M5 the same way. But the E39 M5 is faster than the E34 M5. This is not a criticism, just a difference noted. After all, I'm losing some of my racer's edge too, I'm getting older (and hopefully better too!)

#4 ·
I love my M5. No buyer's remorse here! Performance is thrilling. Luxury and creature comforts abound. Never been in a car I'd rather own, including other BMWs, Mercedes, or any Japanese or American car.

SteveP
'00 M5 Avus Blue / Black Exclusive

Reactions: Nvable
#7 ·
1. The car has been fantastic from day one.
2. For my $72,000.00, I don't think I would buy anything else. I can't think of any other 4 door car, in this price range, that blends 4 door practicality and sports car thrill.

#8 ·
1. No
2. Yes

Really like the car. Best sedan I've owned. Wish it had less electronic intervention, though. In this type of car, Sport mode is fine for all conditions, IMO. And the DCS is FAR too sensitive - and when it does activate, it's either all or nothing (not good). Strip some of that stuff out and keep it under 4000 lbs. and it would be ideal.

#9 ·
I am very happy with the M5.

Its practical, its very fast and it's just as much fun to drive as any 2 door/2 seat sportscar. No regrets.

Plus, as you read here, there is an endless array of modifications available if you're so inclined.

#10 ·
No regrets.

Had '01 540/6 and thought that was a great car, circumstances led me to be able to go for the M5. The obvious is the additional power, the brakes are way better than 540 and the overall experience is just sweet.

The most fun is getting the thumbs up from car savvy teens!

The only issue with all e39 for me (6'2") is the steering wheel cuts off the top of the dash. Oh well, I guess that means that I have to drive over 120mph to see the speedo reading! I hate when that happens....:cool:

#11 · (Edited)
My only disappointment is that I don't get to drive the car more!
There really is no alternative to the specification of 4 doors, 5 seats, 0-60 below 5 secs and manual transmission.
Don;twait any longer - goforit.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

#12 ·
I had it all to do over again and I bought another M5 :)

but I was a little dissapointed with the braking feel and steering feel/weghting. I can now accept the steering feel/weighting as a trade off to the need for a recirc ball system. I cannot really understand why the stock car has a comparatively to the M3 and Z8, mushy pedal feel. but the brakes work great- its just a little bit in the feel, and compared to other cars it is very good.

I say "was" because I think overall the car is so good I simply look beyond these things- they are not major- the steering and braking are very good, just not supergood as I would have wished for.

#14 ·
1. Overall, is anyone disappointed with their M5?

No, not me!

2. If you had to do it all over again, would you buy an M5 or would you buy something else?

M5 certainly. Even with its HP advantage, I wouldn't get the current E55. My only regret is that the economy won't let me trade my '01 for an '03 so I can enjoy this version even longer. I've seen the spy shots of the E60, and even the enticement of 500HP and a V10 doesn't get me over the styling.

#15 ·
Complaints about the M5 are generally small stuff: lousy cupholders, no single CD slot behind radio, with an occasional weak clutch complaint, but it's an awesome car...great bang for the buck

I'd get one again. I'm having a blast driving it, taking care of it, and modifying it!:biggrin:

:cheers:

#16 ·
Put me down as the same answer as everyone before, completel satisfied and would if I could do it again.:biggrin:
Ken

#18 ·
No disapointment here, and would certainly buy again - but only after my personal boycott of French and German products ends.

I considered two other cars, neither one as well-rounded as the M5. The Audi RS-6 is clumsy in the twisties, and the E55 is straight-line fast, but too luxo-boatish and only avail. /w a slushbox tranny.

M5!

:cheers:

#19 ·
I love my M5 :)

It's the 'best' car I've ever driven. Sure there are faster cars out there, or ones with more legroom and luggage capacity. But as an all around practical and fun car this car wins by miles.

The only thing to worry about is the paintwork which is crap. So choose a colour you can live with. Carbonblack is beautiful but a lot of hard work to keep looking good. I would probably choose another colour next time.

#21 ·
RCMD35 said:
On the board, you read a lot of great things about the car and you read about some problems with the car. RyanC
Ryan, keep in mind that your not reading about "some" problems on this messageboard, your seeing just about EVERY problem thats been reported about the M5! This is the place where owners tell their war stories about car problems, dealer horrors, mishaps, etc.

If your concerned at all, check other messageboards for similar cars that came out in '99 like the XJR and E55 and see what they have found probelmatic over the years. I think you'll clearly see the M5 has been unbelievably reliable and a proven solid car. Also, keep in mind that most people here are perfectionists too, so when the BMW phone can't use their T-Mobile cell plan or the cupholders fail under a large Starbucks load, their venting appears here. :)

#22 ·
It is definitely the best overall vehicle I have ever owned (everything that my 98 540i was not)......as others have said...it is only the small stuff that is a concern and you should not sweat the small stuff.

#25 · (Edited)
1. Absolutely not!
2. M5

My only criticism is that of a point of self flagellation: I should have gone for the Beast long ago. I spent a couple of years debating the pros and con of a 911 vs a Z06 'vette vs a Viper vs an E55 MB vs a Jag XJR vs well you get the idea. Sports car vs luxury sedan vs sports sedan, etc. Why not have the best of everything? An E39 M5: a sports car wrapped in a luxury sedan package---the best of all worlds. It's undeniably the best sports sedan on the planet (five years in a row and counting) and considering all of its attributes, the M5 is arguably the best automobile in the world.:D

#26 ·
(1) No regrets at all. Great car.

(2) In fact I traded my first M5 for an E46 M3 and promptly switched back to an M5. Not that the M3 isn't a great car but the M5 for my purposes is the ultimate everyday family friendly car.

This winter has really put the beast to the test and it has passed with flying colors. The car communicates so well with the driver that it is blast to drive even on the slippery stuff - it is very predictable and easy to control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.