BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waring Tones

I have a feeling this is a stupid question but here it goes...

In my '03 M5 I keep hearing warning tones...I can't figure out what they mean - There appears to be no pattern to it...It is very very infrequent and I can't figure out what is triggering it...It's not the same sound as the park distance control. And the message area doesn't display anything as far as warning messages...

Anybody know what this is?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Re: Waring Tones

Can you describe them? Are they low or high pitched blings? Are they slow or fast? When do they occur?

A common cause could be driving with your trunk open. Do you leave your lights on when you park? Is your handbrake fully disengaged? Is one of your doors not fully closed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks - I am going to have to pay better attention next time it happens. It is so infrequent & quick it's hard to nail down. There does not appear to be a definite precipitating event. The tone is lower than, say, the PDC and the tones associated with the trunk being open - And those show up in the message center while this, does not. LAstly, the sound seems to be coming from the driver's side of teh dash toward the glass...The other warning tones seem to come from a different location.

I suspect I am either completely nuts or theer is an obvious answer...

Thanks again...

Ashok Arora said:
Can you describe them? Are they low or high pitched blings? Are they slow or fast? When do they occur?

A common cause could be driving with your trunk open. Do you leave your lights on when you park? Is your handbrake fully disengaged? Is one of your doors not fully closed?

·
Registered
867 Posts

if you have your memo function on that also gives you audible sounds - every hour!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts

My guess would be that you have the memo function on or you are driving when it is at or below 37 degrees F (black ice starts forming). Both have a "ding" sound to them with no info being flashed across the message screen on the dash. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all - I warned you that it was a stupid question!

The 'memo' feature was on so it would appear that was it.

Thanks again...This forum is great!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
That "memo" thing got me, too.

Another "dinger" is the feature that you can set in the nav that dings whenever you exceed a predefined speed. Mine is set at 85mph, and it's a polite reminder to myself to slow down.

·
Registered
312 Posts
For the first several weeks of ownership, we constantly found ourselves asking "what the hell IS that noise?!" when the memo alert went off.

With regards to the speed dinger, it's currently set at 95 - setting it that "low" took a considerable amount of negotiating skill on my part. ("ok, honey, I know what Struth is capable of. . . that DOES NOT mean that you're supposed to demonstrate it in the single city block between stop signs. . . " :M5launch: )

ELEVENS said:
That "memo" thing got me, too.

Another "dinger" is the feature that you can set in the nav that dings whenever you exceed a predefined speed. Mine is set at 85mph, and it's a polite reminder to myself to slow down.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Geez, that's my polite reminder to downshift to 4th and floor it... :noSMG: :flag:

My guess was the low temp warning...I've never turned the "memo" feature on...

:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts