BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just did the install myself (03 m5), i just bought my m5 last week, but they forgot to put the cd cartridge back in the changer in the holder so i don't have the cartridge, when i hit mode it doesn't show either cd or sirius, once the cartridge is in will the sirius show up? (they were supposed to have mailed it to me last week). anyone who has done the install, if they could pop out to their car and pull their changer out, please let me know if the sirius shows up without the cartridge in the changer.

thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
have you already replaced the radio unit and have the correct nav computer? even an 03 will need these updated. On my car, i replaced my cd changer with a phatbox media player, which still shows as cd. I'd think sirius would be there with or without the cd cartridge. You should be able to have sirius without the cd.
Mike

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just put in the system, no one at bmw has said i needed a radio upgrade...

·
Super Moderator
10,461 Posts
you should do a search on the board for 'sirius retrofit' you will most likely need an updated radio unit that is sirius ready. Your nav computer will probably be ok, but some early mk4's were also not sirius compatible.
The radio unit is mounted in the trunk, and costs around $400. Some have had a problem with their radio "fading from stereo to mono" and have gotten a new (updated, sirius ready) radio under warranty.

I'm surprised a bmw dealer sold you a sirius kit, as the e39 technically is not factory ready for sirius and most dealers will say it can't be done.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts