BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have recently returned back home after about 5 years. I left my E34 M5 in the hands of an in-law ouich and that individual kind of ran it into the ground. After it stopped running on that person, the car was left outside for several years. There was not much that I could do about it at the time . . . seriously. I had another relative grab the car and take care of it. I am now finally getting to many of the issues.

The interior of the car is in pretty good shape, no rips or cracks or major issues. But the rear headrests look like they were dehydrated. Im concerned that wiping some leather conditioner on it will cause it to expand rapidly and unevenly, causing cracking or whatever. I have zymol and meguiars leather conditioner . . . seriously these things look like 10 year old beef jerky left out in the Sahara.

Any tips? Or should I just spray away?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Clean it first with specific leather cleaner before you do that. I think you will be OK. My e39 M5 was super dehydrated, looked like PO never put any conditioning on, and I just started conditioning it. No problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
For really dried out leather seats, I would use Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I also heard good things about leatherique.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I would remove them from the car and be patient while conditioning. They may get extremely brittle and break when they are heated while the conditioner is doing it's magic. There are some conditioners that recommend using them in direct sunlight, but sometimes the leather just needs time to absorb the moisture. Ask me how I know? Lets just say that mine are now sporting fresh leather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts