BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I had a UUC EVO 3 Short Shifter installed in my 2000 M5 by a very reputable place (DynoSpot Racing for those Nor Cal folks). The shifter feels fine, and much better than stock. The problem is that it doesn't feel that short. I have a UUC in my e36 M3 and it's SHORT. I love the way the M3 feels. Is there anything I can do? Is there a shifter that is much shorter than the UUC? I checked today and it seems that the shifter height is all the way down (I think).

Any thoughts?

thanks... josh

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if the right shifter was installed.

You should end up with a total shifter travel (measured at the top of the knob from 3rd to 4th gear) similar to your M3, approximately 100mm or less.

If you have a shifter designed for a different model, then the reduction may not be the correct amount.

Can you determine which part number you have? It should be USSE6. If you think you have the right part number, we can have you check some specific dimensions of the shifter to see if that's really it.

Please call me during the week to discuss further - we'll get this figured out ASAP.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rob,
Thanks so much for the great response. I actually just went out and played around with things. It seems that the circlip had popped out of the retaining ring, therefore the spring and everything else was not intact. I put the circlip back in and reinstalled everything. It feels great again now. It's still not nearly as short as the M3, but it feels much better than before. The part number on the box is correct. Is there anything on the shifter itself that I should look for to make sure it is the correct one? There is no UUC sticker on the shaft.

Thanks again for your help. UUC has always been a great company to deal with.

...josh

·
Registered
931 Posts
I installed the UUC short shifter myself. The height IS adjustable! The large nut at the base of the lever should be lossened and by applying pressure downward, you can lower the knob height. I set mine as low as possible. Don't forget to re-tighten the nut! I can rest my forearm on the center arm rest and my hand is at the right height to grasp the shift knob. I hope you went for the ball bearings for a smoother shift.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
The large nut at the base of the lever should be lossened and by applying pressure downward, you can lower the knob height.
On my EVO2 version, I also had to find the set screw behind the UUC sticker and after un-doing that as well as the large nut, could lower the height.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Always glad to help!

jkarp said:
The part number on the box is correct. Is there anything on the shifter itself that I should look for to make sure it is the correct one?
Nothing by casual observation; I would have you take a specific measurement of the part that is exposed under the car, that dimension will tell me which shifter it is. As the measurement needs to be between two specific points, I would ask you to call me so I can explain it in-depth.

- Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts