BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a dinan CAI, MAF's and IATS. I am wondering what software to get and am hesitant to speak to a Dinan dealer about it because I am not sure how knowledgeable they are. I am NOT planning on doing an exhaust anytime soon, did one on my m3 and it became non-wife friendly really quick.

any advise would be appreciated. PS since this is a CPO car and is going to go to the dealer for the next couple of years I would like the dealer to be "happy" with any mods.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
DrewT said:
just purchased a dinan CAI, MAF's and IATS. I am wondering what software to get and am hesitant to speak to a Dinan dealer about it because I am not sure how knowledgeable they are. I am NOT planning on doing an exhaust anytime soon, did one on my m3 and it became non-wife friendly really quick.

any advise would be appreciated. PS since this is a CPO car and is going to go to the dealer for the next couple of years I would like the dealer to be "happy" with any mods.
If I was based in the US, I'd go with the PowerChip one, its a tried and tested solution on hundreds (maybe thousands of m5s). I'm sure you can upload the original ecu map, when you come to sell the car, as part of the powerchip process, is to save your original maps, thus taking out the Mafs/iats/cai shouldn't be too difficult (plus you can always sell them onto recoup the costs).

just my £0.01p's worth :thumbsup:

·
10,455 Posts
If you have the dinan parts, and are concerned about the bmw/dinan warranties, i'd get the dinan software. IF something were to come up down the road, and bmw said no warranty because of mods, dinan could also deny you since you don't have their correct software.
That said, i have a similar set up with powerchip, and am quite happy.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
mottati said:
If you have the dinan parts, and are concerned about the bmw/dinan warranties, i'd get the dinan software. IF something were to come up down the road, and bmw said no warranty because of mods, dinan could also deny you since you don't have their correct software.
That said, i have a similar set up with powerchip, and am quite happy.
Drew T
I have a similar set up too. I have replaced Dinan software with PC software, very noticable improvement. Can't vouch for horsepower gains, but car feels crisper and noticeably smoother at part throttle. So far, no warranty issues have arisen that would be affected by the software. I have made sure the redline is no higher than Dinan's just for warranty purposes.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all, I tend to think that I will stay with Dinan for now but PC is tempting. Maybe I'll speak to the guy at the dealer and see how he feels about the PC, it is all about opinions when it comes to the warranty, right.

·
Registered
463 Posts
DrewT said:
thanks all, I tend to think that I will stay with Dinan for now but PC is tempting. Maybe I'll speak to the guy at the dealer and see how he feels about the PC, it is all about opinions when it comes to the warranty, right.
I'd call PC to verify, but I seem to recall reading that dealers are not be able to "see" the PC software. Let us know how you like the other mods.

·
10,455 Posts
EdP said:
I'd call PC to verify, but I seem to recall reading that dealers are not be able to "see" the PC software. Let us know how you like the other mods.
But your bmw dealer can see when the dme has last been flashed. IIRC, the dme can only handle so many over-writes (13 is the number i've heard).
mike

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
mottati said:
But your bmw dealer can see when the dme has last been flashed. IIRC, the dme can only handle so many over-writes (13 is the number i've heard).
mike
Hey Mike,

That sounds a little bogas to me. I'll do some investigating. I can't see how it would have a limited number. Mine has been done at least 6 times.

I drag race and change things and add mods, and get paranoid, then go back. hiha Its an illness.

I had a HSV that I used to change the chip whenever Ifilled up and added 104+ Octane bosster for a drag meet.

Then when I filled up, I would change it back.

Powerchip said they could rig up a Dual chip with a switch, so instead of changing chips all the time I could flick a switch. These guys are GOOD.

I sold the car and bought a BMW, so it wasn't necessary.

I have Powerchipped all my BMW's and I told my dealership to look, and they did not see anything.

Powerchip have a great Reputation in Australia. In fact the local dealer "Expects" you to get a Powerchip. They are enthusiasts.

My S.A. said in his 10 years, he never once saw an issue with a Powerchipped car. That was good enough for me.

I have Powerchipped everthing I have owned since.

Its like when I leave from buying the vehicle, O.K. Yes I've insured the car just before I leave, and Oh Yeah, I best give Powerchip a call and see what they have for this vehicle. hiha I told you it was an illness.
MJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts