BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping to get some input and understanding surrounding ECU programming....

I am posting in the M5 forum because I usually get more responses/action here than in the general e39 section. Forgive me if that's bothersome to anybody.

I have a 2003 BMW 540i and the car previously had the Dinan Stage 1 D900-45TU software installed back in September of 2018. The previous owner took it to a shop where they installed the dinan software successfully.

Under my ownership, the vehicle experienced very rough idling late last year. I had the car diagnosed at a BMW Indy Shop and the problem was due to faulty intake manifold gaskets (vacuum leak and fuel trims showed this) and a couple of bad coils which I replaced. I had the car serviced at a local shop where they resealed the intake manifold and reset the ECU. The car runs perfectly nowadays.

My question is: Is the Dinan D900-45TU now inactivated due to the shops ECU Reset on my 540i? Or is my logic flawed/missing something? If it is "deactivated" or "uninstalled", will I need to get the Dinan software re-installed by a shop in order to get it active or is there some alternative?

the reason I am asking here is because I have contacted both shops and have not been able to get a hold of anybody so I thought I'd see if any of you have experience or knowledge and can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
You'd have to ask them specifically what they did, but it sounds like they just cleared the codes...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would do as mgdmb suggests, ask them what they did. If all they did was clear the error codes, then your DINAN tune is absolutely fine. For the M62TU, the tune is a flash directly into the DME. You'd literally have to re-write a bunch of files in there to anything to the tune.

If you were local, I'd check it for you. Worst case, DINAN itself will work with you and your local Dealer if it needs to be reflashed for some reason.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
+1 If they just cleared codes likely the tune wasn't touched, but specific meaning on "reset" is important here.

Only in the event they reflash the DME, which for regular maint. is unlikely.

Worst case scenario, you take it to any DINAN affiliated shop and they (usually) just charge 1 hr labor to re-flash. You do not "re-pay" for the tune as the license is tied to the cars VIN.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do as mgdmb suggests, ask them what they did. If all they did was clear the error codes, then your DINAN tune is absolutely fine. For the M62TU, the tune is a flash directly into the DME. You'd literally have to re-write a bunch of files in there to anything to the tune.

If you were local, I'd check it for you. Worst case, DINAN itself will work with you and your local Dealer if it needs to be reflashed for some reason.
Thank you very much for the information. I finally got a hold of the shop owner today and all they did was clear the codes so I’m good and don’t need to worry.

I tried editing my post to update it but this forum didn’t let me edit because I’ve reached my limit on editing posts.

Thanks Again for help

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thank you very much for the information. I finally got a hold of the shop owner today and all they did was clear the codes so I’m good and don’t need to worry.

I tried editing my post to update it but this forum didn’t let me edit because I’ve reached my limit on editing posts.

Thanks Again for help
Cool! Good to hear it worked out well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1 If they just cleared codes likely the tune wasn't touched, but specific meaning on "reset" is important here.

Worst case scenario, you take it to any DINAN affiliated shop and the (usually) just charge 1 hr labor to re-flash. You do not "re-pay" for the tune as the license is tied to the cars VIN.

Worst case scenario, you take it to any DINAN affiliated shop and they (usually) just charge 1 hr labor to re-flash. You do not "re-pay" for the tune as the license is tied to the cars VIN.
Thanks Dking078, spoke to the shop and they cleared the codes so I’m good. Appreciate your input man

·
Registered
152 Posts
In this case 'reset' means they cleared the adaptations in the DME short-term memory since the fuel trims got all goofed up trying to make the car run right with a vacuum leak. So the codes were cleared and trims reset back to zero, and now the DME will need to 're-learn' things over a few drive cycles in order to dial in your new fuel trims. These are just adjustment factors made on top of the base fueling table though, and it's this fuel table that is hard-flashed in the firmware and what was updated with the Dinan installation, and would remain unaltered by the recent work. Or put another way, the Dinan base tables says something like: "Listen up scallywags, I want spark at 30 deg BTDC and an AFR of 13.5 at 3000 RPM and 50% throttle opening." And then the O2 sensor reports back: "**** guys, I'm a little lean here, seeing 13.8 AFR!" And so the fuel trim chimes in: "Ok, well here's 2.2% extra fuel to compensate for you lazy-***, old, gummed up injectors! Get with the program ya bastards!" <- So your Dinan 'target' is still the same, but because of the recent changes/fixes that 2.2% offset needs to be re-adjusted in order to reach said target.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In this case 'reset' means they cleared the adaptations in the DME short-term memory since the fuel trims got all goofed up trying to make the car run right with a vacuum leak. So the codes were cleared and trims reset back to zero, and now the DME will need to 're-learn' things over a few drive cycles in order to dial in your new fuel trims. These are just adjustment factors made on top of the base fueling table though, and it's this fuel table that is hard-flashed in the firmware and what was updated with the Dinan installation, and would remain unaltered by the recent work. Or put another way, the Dinan base tables says something like: "Listen up scallywags, I want spark at 30 deg BTDC and an AFR of 13.5 at 3000 RPM and 50% throttle opening." And then the O2 sensor reports back: "** guys, I'm a little lean here, seeing 13.8 AFR!" And so the fuel trim chimes in: "Ok, well here's 2.2% extra fuel to compensate for you lazy-*, old, gummed up injectors! Get with the program ya bastards!" <- So your Dinan 'target' is still the same, but because of the recent changes/fixes that 2.2% offset needs to be re-adjusted in order to reach said target.
Haha love the breakdown here, I appreciate the thorough answer, really puts it in better (and more humorous) perspective for me to follow!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts