BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recenlty bought a "full kit" from a member and right after I paid I realised that he is not including a centre arm rest part that has the pairing button (note to self - never take it for granted whats included in a "full kit"). When i asked him about this he said it was not required for pairing and pairing could be done via the steering wheel control.

Can people with bluetooth or knowledge of it comment on if this is correct? or do you absolutely need the arm rest part?

Ill have to figure out how to deal with this based on if i abosultely need the part or not.

thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought that the BT owners manual that came with my BimmerNav system said that you can't? use the steering wheel voice button that you had to use the armrest button for pairing. Maybe a call to BimmerNav

·
Registered
289 Posts
Actually just installed Bimmernav's BT kit (month ago) with the latest Gen13 ULF module. Plug and play kit with center armrest tray and pairing button. If you have an old mic (as i did) I recommend the upgrading the microphone as well as it increases volume by 6db's and has latest noise cancellation feature. Steering wheel voice button is also fully functional. Call Martin at Bimmernav and he will answer all your questions and set you up with exactly what you may need.
-Roberto

I could be wrong but I thought that the BT owners manual that came with my BimmerNav system said that you can't? use the steering wheel voice button that you had to use the armrest button for pairing. Maybe a call to BimmerNav

·
Registered
83 Posts
That process is not correct. that is for the assist module, which is not for the E39. You need to use the process shown in this video. As others have said, the steering wheel is not able to be used as the pairing button. The arm rest piece is required to pair the phone. It is also required to be connected on the E39 M5 built prior to 03/02. In an 03/02 or later M5 you can remove or not install as desired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9G0iZ2TCEw

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
quite sure you need the tray and the pairing button. Did the install recently, and the included instructions mention the pairing button in the tray, not the steering wheel, to be used to pair with the phone.
Recommend the new mic too.
I swapped my mic and sunroof control switch over to put the mic on my side of the car too.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
I had my installer separate the pairing button from the tray and hide it inside the shift boot. The only time you need it is to pair up a phone, which is a pretty rare event. It could also be wired in the trunk, just a little more inconvenient.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If anyone is looking for a used but good condition BT module, the car I'm parting out has one installed - it's 13th gen and only a couple of months old. I WILL include the center console piece :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
mine is NOT bimmernav, and I do NOT need center arm rest button. However on my unit there is a switch, which I can swith to the pairing when I turn on my ignition, and it will pair. Not sure if this helps though.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the responses. Turns out that you do need a pairing switch. However, you can get one from bimmernav for about $25, that you can plug in to pair and then take out. Since pairing is a one time deal this works ok. Thats what I ended up doing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
That process is not correct. that is for the assist module, which is not for the E39. You need to use the process shown in this video. As others have said, the steering wheel is not able to be used as the pairing button. The arm rest piece is required to pair the phone. It is also required to be connected on the E39 M5 built prior to 03/02. In an 03/02 or later M5 you can remove or not install as desired

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9G0iZ2TCEw

Could you please clarify if you need the console button to pair a phone if your car is built 03/02 or later? You seem to indicate you do for all at the beginning but you don't need to have it "connected" for the 03/02 or later. Does this mean you can install it to only pair a phone, then disconnect it and only use the steering wheel button until you need to pair another phone? I'm asking this because I have an 03/03 and I accidentally press on the console button quite often when I rest my arm which causes the system to wait for a voice command. I would love to eliminate that...

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
It seems there is some variation, but in retrofitting a BT to my '01, I found the wires for the pairing button inside the center console as per Bimmernav's instructions. I plugged it in, wrapped it in foam, and hid the button under my TEC cupholder just aft of the shifter. As others pointed out, you only need it when you pair a new phone to the car but putting it in the trunk is a PITA, since you are supposed to hold the pairing button down while turning your ignition on (w/o starting the car) and then release it. Unless you're Superman or one of those guys from Heroes who can go back and forth in the blink of an eye, I would think putting it in the trunk would be inconvenient to say the least.

The BT can remember up to three phones, I think, but you only need to pair each one once. (Occasionally, though, there is some hiccup in the software, and I need to re-pair the same phone. This usually happens when I use a BT headset with my phone in-between car uses, which is rare for me. I have a Jawbone that I use when driving my convertible. For some reason, my Blackjack will easily pair with my M5 but won't with my BMW Assist/BT equipped 'vert.)

Main reason for not trying to install the pairing button permanently on the console is that I was lazy, and I do have the Euro armrest, so there really isn't much place to put it. I didn't like the idea of putting in inside the storage portion of the armrest because I keep stuff in there (parking change, bridge toll transponder) that could too easily bump the button.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts