BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST WANTED TO TELL THE WHOEVER DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT LACR IN PALMDALE. I WENT TO TRY TO DO SOME LAUNCHES LAST WEDNESDAY AND HAD LOTS OF FUN. MANY PEOPLE TAKE THEIRS CARS TO THIS DRAGSTRIP TO CHECK OUT WHAT THEIR 1/4 MILE TIMES ARE. TODAY IS THE LAST ONE FOR THE YEAR. THEY CLOSE AT 10:00 PM. IF ANYONE STILL HAS TIME AND WANT TO CHECK IT OUT. IF YOU ARE RACING THEY CHARGE $15.00 FOR AS MANY RUNS AS YOU CAN GET, DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF CARS. AND FOR REGULAR ADMISSION IS $5.00. IF ANYONE STILL CAN MAKE IT IS OF THE 14 FWY ON THE PEARLBLOSSOM EXIT FOR ABOUT 5 MILES UNTIL YOU HIT AVENUE T, THEN ABOUT HALF A MILE TO THE RIGHT. IF ANYONE CAN MAKE IT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT. SEE YOU THERE!:M5launch:

·
Registered
16 Posts
ACTECH said:
JUST WANTED TO TELL THE WHOEVER DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT LACR IN PALMDALE. I WENT TO TRY TO DO SOME LAUNCHES LAST WEDNESDAY AND HAD LOTS OF FUN. MANY PEOPLE TAKE THEIRS CARS TO THIS DRAGSTRIP TO CHECK OUT WHAT THEIR 1/4 MILE TIMES ARE. TODAY IS THE LAST ONE FOR THE YEAR. THEY CLOSE AT 10:00 PM. IF ANYONE STILL HAS TIME AND WANT TO CHECK IT OUT. IF YOU ARE RACING THEY CHARGE $15.00 FOR AS MANY RUNS AS YOU CAN GET, DEPENDING ON THE AMOUNT OF CARS. AND FOR REGULAR ADMISSION IS $5.00. IF ANYONE STILL CAN MAKE IT IS OF THE 14 FWY ON THE PEARLBLOSSOM EXIT FOR ABOUT 5 MILES UNTIL YOU HIT AVENUE T, THEN ABOUT HALF A MILE TO THE RIGHT. IF ANYONE CAN MAKE IT, YOU WON'T REGRET IT. SEE YOU THERE!:M5launch:
No need to yell.

Although I did wish you posted this earlier. I was about to go to LACR but found out one of my BMW friends couldnt go so I didnt go.

How was it? Was it like 35F over there?

·
Registered
267 Posts
ACTECH said:
I didn't hear too many good runs out of that place....the strip is at high altitude and also uphill and lots of headwind....let us know how you did, thanks...and maybe we'll hook up next time, now that my beast is broken in I'm ready to go...

ed

·
Registered
16 Posts
em5464 said:
I didn't hear too many good runs out of that place....the strip is at high altitude and also uphill and lots of headwind....let us know how you did, thanks...and maybe we'll hook up next time, now that my beast is broken in I'm ready to go...

ed
It is true that almost every car that goes to LACR is almost .5 slower than sea level. The sea level correction factor for LACR is ET x .97 = [email protected] level.

Headwinds are mainly during late spring and summer.

The problem during winter is that there is hardly any traction because surface temp. is very very cold. No headwinds present during winter. If so then its very weak winds.

LACR is the best place to practice to get 60ft times though. At one night I got like 20 runs but you must be there when the get opens.

Not a lot of BMWs go there so they get a lot of attention.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
You should come and run your beast at the brand new strip here in Bahrain. The fastest times were recorded in its very first few weeks!!

I havent run this strip yet, the car aint ready! But these were the figures I got with my GTech Pro Comp. How realistic are they on the actual strip? Just curious?

1999 BMW E39 M5

Stock (with only AA Intakes)
1/4 mile = 13.032 secs. at 104 mph

After mods (AA, CAI, SS Exhaust & Xpipe, PC Software, SSK, VPfuel)
1/4 mile = 12.788 ses. at 113 mph

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ahmed said:
... But these were the figures I got with my GTech Pro Comp. How realistic are they on the actual strip? Just curious?

1999 BMW E39 M5

Stock (with only AA Intakes)
1/4 mile = 13.032 secs. at 104 mph

After mods (AA, CAI, SS Exhaust & Xpipe, PC Software, SSK, VPfuel)
1/4 mile = 12.788 ses. at 113 mph
Accelerometers like the Gtech, Vericom, etc. are a lot of fun but are not even close to what you would get at a real track. Just look at your MPH - you gained 90 horsepower with mods that should have netted maybe 20 or 30 at the most. Not that I don't think your car can't do a 12.788. It surely can. 113MPH is a little higher than average, but do-able. I just wouldn't look to a GTech for evidence. Go to a real track and let us know what happens!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I went to the track with my G-Tech it was off by a tenth and I think 5 mph (this was with the first generation unit). It was consistent though and the new one has some really neat/ cool features.

Rob.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Why doesnt someone make either add on software, or a pure WAAS enabled GPS timing unit? With WAAS enabled GPS's that are accurate to 2-3', I would think that would be the most accurate way to go. Accelerometers in the current setups are pretty cheap, why not just use another technology? Ring lazer gyros are too expensive, and good accelerometers are too. Just a thought...
Or you can just go to a good track and do it in a safe environment.
:cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, it was about 40f but it was still nice! my best run was 14.1 at 103 MPH. There was a guy there who had a brand new Z8. When I came over to tell him how nice his car was he seemed to be to proud to keep a conversation and just said that this car was fast. And I'm sure it is but don't be so stuck up about it it is just a car. My friend who was racing his Hayabusa overheard him said that his car was too fast to be racing with the imports and he had to move over to the pro lane. When his time to run came ha spun those tires in 1st. and 2nd. gear without gaining any distance and ran a low 20's. That tells you it is not just the car, it has to do with the driver and the practice. Well too much about that, my M5 is all stock and I will be doing some mods in the near future and will see it improve. We will see you there!
M Performance said:
No need to yell.

Although I did wish you posted this earlier. I was about to go to LACR but found out one of my BMW friends couldnt go so I didnt go.

How was it? Was it like 35F over there?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeap I have a friend who has raced his syclone there several times and told me that your time is actually half a second less in Palmdale, but if you so the math you are O.K.The headwind I didn't even notice it. By the way this Syclone runs in the low 12's and he always gives me a hard time that He beats my car, so I told him that my car is geared different and that I could beat him starting on a roll He could not believe me until last night when He could no catch up starting from 50 to 140 plus. So today he admited that the beast could really do some damage when traction is not a factor. His quarter mile numbers are great but considering AWD, it better. So I will see you guys there when the time comes!:M5rev:
em5464 said:

ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts