BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So he converts to 6 speed, then puts the 7 series rear diff in (the 3.45), then the one of the 8 (the 3.64) then puts the quaife in? Is that to replace the 3.64???

Also has anyone tried one of these Quaife ATB Differentials on an M5? And how is it different to the standard limited slip diff???

·
Registered
40 Posts
The standard diff in ours cars is a clutch type Lsd. over time the clutch types wear. Quaife uses a Helical gear mechanism.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gear3.htm

These sytems react to slip faster, do not wear, and require little maintenece.

No I do not work for the company. I do however, want one of their diffs in the back of my M5.

Hope that helps

Beej

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds interesting..... so no-one (other than rob levinson) have tried them? Funny how the M5 price in the list is P.O.A. - i might have to find out exactly how much that would be for our cars.....

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
illjah said:
Sounds interesting..... so no-one (other than rob levinson) have tried them? Funny how the M5 price in the list is P.O.A. - i might have to find out exactly how much that would be for our cars.....
Its only an opinion but had a Quaife LSD fitted to a Cosworth many moons ago. Absolute waste of time on the road but was an advantage on the track
where more extreme speeds and slip angles are likely.
Sometimes, having a very sensitive diff aportioning slip torque across the axle can be a real pain especially for a road car.

If theres nothing wrong with your existing Hypoid unit, which is very good, then why change ?

I dont know the answer either but you would have to drive like an idiot on the road find quantitive difference.

Farrell

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
farrell said:
Sometimes, having a very sensitive diff aportioning slip torque across the axle can be a real pain especially for a road car.
How was it a pain? I'm interested in some real-world views...

farrell said:
If theres nothing wrong with your existing Hypoid unit, which is very good, then why change ?
Probably not going to, but I'm about to (i think) convert my 5sp '91 3.6 to a 6sp, which means replacing the prop shaft and diff, so thought I'd look at my options after reading thru Rob L's website. But I'm going to get the diff and propshaft with the 6sp box (hopefully) all off a 3.8.

Just need to find out if the (new only 2 months ago) clutch on my 5sp will fit fine with the 6sp box......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts