BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to attempt this this morning but I thought I'd step away and ask the question just to minimise the chance of damage in case I've got it wrong.

Here is where i'm going to put the rear stands. This is the rear subframe right? I'm going to place the jack on one side of it, jack it up and put the axle stand right beside where the jack lifter thing is.

On the front I'm going to do the same thing but on the runners. Is this a runner?

Just need a go or no go please...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I did it but it was the hardest thing I've done so far with my car:

Needed two jacks...and decided to take all 4 wheels off

Tight space:

These are a bstard to remove:

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Glad you are having fun, Babs. A note of caution - I have been advised against using 4 jackstands to remove all wheels, as it can leave the car vulnerable to topple. I dont know how right that is, but it is something I try to avoid.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing is, the jack stands are large 6 ton stands, with wide bases. If I add a jack as an extra support it should be ok no? I didn't need to remove the rear wheels but the jack stands are so big that i couldn't just put the front two on...or perhaps i could have???.

You see in the photos they are on their lowest setting and not even extended

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sorry only just seen your post.

If you have to do this again could I suggest you put the rear stands under the axle mounting bushes? Less likely to bend the trailing arms and more stable.

·
10,456 Posts
i was also going to say at the rear it looks like the stands are under the rear trailing arms. I would use the subframe tube, as you pointed out in your first post. For extra safety, i also put the car's wheels under the frame rails, so if the car were to fall, something stronger than my body is also in the way before the car hits the ground.

Reactions: First e28 M5
1 - 10 of 10 Posts