BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I found out from an excellent source that this shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not too much, but, I accidentally poured more oil in the car, so it's past the Max indent mark on the oil dipstick.

This isn't going to damaging or hurtful to the engine, will it? It's slightly past the Max mark, like a dipstick mark space over the Max mark.

Thanks all,

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I would be really careful of ever over filling a car with a wet sump type system, as the crank could whip into the oil, causing it to foam and not flow correctly. If you are slightly past the mark, you are probably ok, but I dont know how tolerant the S62 is to overfilling. I would let it burn off, and then just be a bit more cautious next time.
:cheers:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BmwNut said:
I would let it burn off, and then just be a bit more cautious next time.
Thanks...I would assume just driving it around would burn the excess off...correct?

TIA

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
If it is an MY00, it probably uses a little oil. Just driving the car will make the level go lower.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BmwNut said:
If it is an MY00, it probably uses a little oil. Just driving the car will make the level go lower.
I'm new to the M5 World...what exactly is "MY00"? Thanks...

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
00M5MD said:
I'm new to the M5 World...what exactly is "MY00"? Thanks...
MY00= Model Year (20)00...I wouldn't be too concerned about such a slight overfill. If you work the car hard, foaming could be an issue, but I doubt it is a problem for anything that passes for normal street driving.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gsfent said:
MY00= Model Year (20)00...I wouldn't be too concerned about such a slight overfill. If you work the car hard, foaming could be an issue, but I doubt it is a problem for anything that passes for normal street driving.
Regards,
Jerry
Thanks...no, I won't drive the car hard for a while and burn off the excess oil I filled up in the car. I'll just drive her normally until I'm sitting at a comfortable spot on the dipstick.

Thanks again, guys.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hi 00M5MD! Just checking to see if you are following the oil level checking procedure as outlined in the owner's manual (and maybe on a decal under the hood).

Here's one of the threads that showed up when I did a search on the topic:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47394&highlight=check+oil+level+manual

The reason I bring this up is because if you just pull out the dipstick and read the level without following "The Procedure", you might not be getting an acurate reading on the appropriate oil level for your car.

Anita

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anita said:
Hi 00M5MD! Just checking to see if you are following the oil level checking procedure as outlined in the owner's manual (and maybe on a decal under the hood).

Here's one of the threads that showed up when I did a search on the topic:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=47394&highlight=check+oil+level+manual

The reason I bring this up is because if you just pull out the dipstick and read the level without following "The Procedure", you might not be getting an acurate reading on the appropriate oil level for your car.

Anita
Anita, thank you.

Yes, I followed the accurate procedure for checking the oil. My driveway is flat...when I park her after a drive, I let her idle for about 45 sec. Shut the car off and wait another 45 sec - 1 minute. Then proceed with pulling the dipstick, wiping, putting it back in all the way and checking the level.

It's a bit more than it should be now, but as others have posted, I will just burn the excess off through normal driving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
00M5MD said:
Anita, thank you.

Yes, I followed the accurate procedure for checking the oil. My driveway is flat...when I park her after a drive, I let her idle for about 45 sec. Shut the car off and wait another 45 sec - 1 minute. Then proceed with pulling the dipstick, wiping, putting it back in all the way and checking the level.

It's a bit more than it should be now, but as others have posted, I will just burn the excess off through normal driving.

Thanks.
:M5thumbs: You sound like you're doing a better job of checking your oil then I am:haha:

Good luck with everything!

Anita

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Anita said:
:M5thumbs: You sound like you're doing a better job of checking your oil then I am:haha:

Good luck with everything!

Anita
Thanks! I'm loving this car every second I'm in her...it's sooo sexy :haha:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
00M5MD said:
Thanks! I'm loving this car every second I'm in her...it's sooo sexy :haha:
Glad to see your car is making you so..um..happy! If you're having this much fun just keeping tabs on your oil level, I can't wait to see you washing and waxing her. And watch out when you decide to use your sport button :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Seriously, so glad you are enjoying your purchase so much and that you ended up with what seems like a wonderful M5!

Anita

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Anita said:
Glad to see your car is making you so..um..happy! If you're having this much fun just keeping tabs on your oil level, I can't wait to see you washing and waxing her. And watch out when you decide to use your sport button :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Seriously, so glad you are enjoying your purchase so much and that you ended up with what seems like a wonderful M5!

Anita
Hey thanks, Anita!!!
I gotta wash/wax it real soon and post pics for everyone :hihi:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts