BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all....Ive been a member for quite some time now just don't post much. Well, after much waiting and drooling I have finally found an M5 that I like and I need the well educated board members here to help me decide if this is the right car or not. The following is the link to the car and also where its being sold. http://www.luxurymotors.com/inv/search/inventory_detail.aspx?vehicle_id=17138&start_year=1950&end_year=2008&start_price=&end_price=&model=M5&make=BMW&color=&mileage=0&lesst=&dealer_id=&dealer=--+All+Locations+--&type=&keywords=

Now that you've looked at it can anyone tell me what I should do with it. I've done homework with the car, pulled the carfax ( i would be the 3rd owner, if anyone who has owned this car on this board exist it would help a great deal) it hasn't seen a BMW dealer since 2004 but until then the service records show religous maintanence. Lastly, I live in Chicago and the car lives in Oakland California currently. If its not too much to ask would someone be willing to go and see the car for me so I don't have to fly out there? Any and all advise/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Car looks good for the mileage. It looks like you know what you are doing as far as doing the standard things before buying a car, doing some research, but I'd also look at what maintenance has already been performed, and what could be missing. You can look at this link, http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56642 to gauge how much repairs (if any) would cost. This might be valuable information for you in negotiations, or to deter/influence you into buying it. Otherwise, test driving and examining the car in person is as important as doing the background check. Good luck, its definitely a beauty from the pics.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Google the VIN if you haven't already - not everything shows up on Carfax

·
Registered
224 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I too believe that you should test drive the ///M5 yourself at least once before committing to pay for it. Do Not test drive the ///M5 unless you are prepared to buy it the same day...

The first time I drove the ///M5 I needed 2 large cups of coffee to calm my nerves down.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Dream7861,

Last Saturday my wife and I traveled from NH. to Philly and drove back with an Imola red 02-M5 with 37.4K miles on it.
I had been very interested in two cars in CA. (Ben Carefuls was one), but I backed off to a 350 mile radius so that I could test drive the car first.
But that's me.
I specifically wanted either an Imola red, or Lemans blue.
In the end I am very happy with what I got.
With this M5 addition, I have now joined the M5board.com and will post photo's after I take some this weekend.

Best Regards, Al. Wise

·
Registered
199 Posts
If you want the best 02 Lemans Blue that has been fanatically maintained look at this http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104015 Especially if you are looking in California!:byebye:
OMG, is this one still available??? I know it's probably a few grand more than what you want to do, but......DANG. I'm going out on a limb here, but I think it's worth it. Especially, since the cars seem so similar. Throw Ben an offer and see what he does. The one main drawback to buying a car from him is that he's going to keep tabs on the car and make you send him updated photos so he knows it's being taken care of.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Yes, Ben's Lemans blue M5 is still available.
I had been looking at it in the "cars for sale" forum of bimmerforums.com.
Take a look, it appears to be well taken care of.
But as stated by Topend, come prepared to buy it, as you will not be satisfied by anything else.
That's how I ended up buying mine. I drove an 03-M5 that is owned by my Salesman at our local BMW dealer, after that I could not rest until one sat in my garage.
It's addictive.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Hello to all....Ive been a member for quite some time now just don't post much. Well, after much waiting and drooling I have finally found an M5 that I like and I need the well educated board members here to help me decide if this is the right car or not. The following is the link to the car and also where its being sold. http://www.luxurymotors.com/inv/search/inventory_detail.aspx?vehicle_id=17138&start_year=1950&end_year=2008&start_price=&end_price=&model=M5&make=BMW&color=&mileage=0&lesst=&dealer_id=&dealer=--+All+Locations+--&type=&keywords=

Now that you've looked at it can anyone tell me what I should do with it. I've done homework with the car, pulled the carfax ( i would be the 3rd owner, if anyone who has owned this car on this board exist it would help a great deal) it hasn't seen a BMW dealer since 2004 but until then the service records show religous maintanence. Lastly, I live in Chicago and the car lives in Oakland California currently. If its not too much to ask would someone be willing to go and see the car for me so I don't have to fly out there? Any and all advise/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Make sure if you are looking at a car that far away you have them take photos of the underbelly(bottom of the engine,backside of each wheel,exhaust,etc)because a pretty face don't mean a pretty heart! Thats what I've been doing and have ruled out a few cars on that alone(condition of the underside). Just my $ .02 worth.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Just thought it was worth pointing out that 2strokecoldsmoke is referring to the car that dream6781 mentioned in the original post in this thread.

My car is indeed still available, doesn't have the blue leather inserts in the seats, and can be had for a few grand more than this car sold for :)...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad to see you here on this forum too Ben.
Your M5 is a thing of well cared for beauty.
If had been on this coast, I would have bought it instead of the one I did last week.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for your wise replies and what not. On the contrary, I am seriously considering your car Ben; rates are low these days in the states so I wanna make sure I get the lowest rate possible. Thanks again everyone.

Azeem Syed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts