BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't want to blast out this board member in hopes that he can rectify the situation. If he reads this he will know who he is.

I ordered a used manual transmission from a board member on May 5th 2014 and took delivery about a week later. I was told the transmission was from an E60 and has approximately 16k miles on it. When it arrived everything seemed fine except the stickers all had been power washed off so there was no identifying numbers. Whatever... no biggie. in June I had Performance Technic swap the trans. everything was going ok until they realized there are 2 holes bored out of the side for a trans cooler which the M5 does not have. PT tells me the trans is likely out of a E9x series and would not work in my car. after talking to the seller he claims he had no idea of this but swore it wouldn't be a problem and they are the same trans and would just need to find a way to plug these holes. after a bit of research this seemed to be true. the bell housing is the same shape and everything else about the trans is the same, the holes for a trans cooler is the only difference. The board member did not have another trans to send and told me he would reimburse me for the extra cost for his oversight. after some persuading of PT they agreed to find a way to plug the holes. about a month later I get my car back with a bill of $400 extra to plug said holes. this is when the fun began.

July 9th I sent the PT invoice to the board member showing all charges. about a week goes by of me texting this user asking if he has received the invoice. eventually he says something about his phone broke and some other BS came up but avoids the subject completely. another week goes by and the board member finally decides to address my questions about how he wants to handle the $400. He tells me its too much money and would have rather I returned the trans. well its too late for that obviously. after a bit of back and forth he says I can have $400 in store credit which I agree to and decide I would like to use it on a set of low millage struts. It took the member the entire month of august to create a shipping label which he sent to me tracking info for to me on 9/17. here it is 11/21 and i still have not received any thing and the tracking is still in waiting to ship status. I text the board member at least once a week and either get no response or get some response that has no relevant information about the situation or even worse a response of something along the lines of "sorry I have been busy with X, I will ship tomorrow." which has never happened obviously.

honestly at this point I don't expect I will be getting what I was promised or if I do I will be sent some trash bin items.

Am I being inpatient or is it unreasonable to be annoyed that it has taking this long and I am still getting nothing but lip service?

TL;DR ordered E60 trans from board member. was sent E9x trans. had to spend $400 extra to make it work. board member offered compensation but has yet to delivery anything 4 1/2 months later

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You're not being unreasonable, I would also be annoyed and very disappointed.

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Damn...sorry to hear that you still haven't received your parts, Mike! It's been like 2 months since you first told me this story!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
You should have been given a quote for the added cost to plug the oil cooler holes.

This quote should have been shared with vendor/board member.

At the very least you would have been told to go to an industrial hydraulic hose supply, they have every fitting known to man, or go on line (Russel comes to mind). i suspect the threaded plugs would have cost no more than $ 15.00 incl. shipping.

$ 400.00 is a ridiculous price, someone is taking advantage of your situation.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
At this point I would eat the $$$, and release his name so no one else is screwed over down the road. If it has taken this much time already, even if the member comes out for a justification it does not help the situation. Think of it as you only are $400 in the whole, if it was a bad tranny and something like this happened you would be thousands of $$$ in the hole

Let the cat out of the bag

T

·
0 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1416602741.588321.jpg

I have not read this thread, but I got a call from Tony leaving me a message asking me about this.

I am dealing with a possible suicide or sex trafficking of my cousin who lives with my parents. She tried to kill herself a month ago and since then it has been a disaster.

The shocks need to be shipped out and I created a label for this and have been so darn busy I haven't had time to actually complete this.

Once I get some type of resolution to our case I have this and a few other things to figure out shipping with.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You should have been given a quote for the added cost to plug the oil cooler holes.

This quote should have been shared with vendor/board member.

At the very least you would have been told to go to an industrial hydraulic hose supply, they have every fitting known to man, or go on line (Russel comes to mind). i suspect the threaded plugs would have cost no more than $ 15.00 incl. shipping.

$ 400.00 is a ridiculous price, someone is taking advantage of your situation.
This, very much this. You should have gotten a quote first, and reviewed with board member and then proceeded. It sounds like the shop knew your situation, knew it wasn't going to be on your dime so they took advantage of the situation.

Sucks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
View attachment 494337

I have not read this thread, but I got a call from Tony leaving me a message asking me about this.

I am dealing with a possible suicide or sex trafficking of my cousin who lives with my parents. She tried to kill herself a month ago and since then it has been a disaster.

The shocks need to be shipped out and I created a label for this and have been so darn busy I haven't had time to actually complete this.

Once I get some type of resolution to our case I have this and a few other things to figure out shipping with.

Thanks,
I dont think you have to air your personal stuff on here man. Of course this didn't happen 3 months ago when the drama started so it really isn't relevant.

Good luck with your cousin. I hope this turns out ok for you and your family.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
This, very much this. You should have gotten a quote first, and reviewed with board member and then proceeded. It sounds like the shop knew your situation, knew it wasn't going to be on your dime so they took advantage of the situation.

Sucks.
Leo...I highly doubt Performance Technic is the type of shop to take advantage of a situation like this, speaking from my personal experience having gone to them for work on my car ever since I got my car 3+ years ago. The owner and shop members are genuine Enthusiasts and I wouldn't think they would ever want to take advantage of a situation like this to earn an extra few $. They're in fact always trying to help out their customers with pricing where they can...such as the Dinan Monoball group buy they agreed to work with for m5board not too long ago.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, there could have been a quote but the problem with that is my car is sitting in a shop on a lift with no trans in it. so my options are pretty limited at that point. The labor to remove the trans had already been performed under the premise that the trans I was sold was for an M5 and it turns out not to be. if I were to get a quote and take it to another place I still would have to incur the labor cost and I can guarantee that would have pushed the extra cost north $1000. you think the board member would have been interested in paying that much?

the bottom line is I was told I purchased X and was given Y. it was probably an honest mistake on the sellers part and I am okay with that, we are all human. what I am not okay with is being offered compensation (with out asking for anything BTW) and then given the run around for the next 4 months.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Troy explained his family situation to me and I sympathize with what's going on. My prayers are with them for the safe return of their loved one and hope she's in good health.

That said, I also told Troy that while everyone can sympathize with him, at the end of the day he still needs to deliver on his obligations. Hoping he can set out some time in the next couple days to ship out your stuff.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I have waited for items to be shipped from Troy also, this is one thing I noted about his business was that he does not keep on top of orders in a timely manner.

Troy I sympathize with what you are going through and I hope all turns out ok but get someone to take care of the day to day running if you can't follow up on orders.

T

·
0 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1416613183.284907.jpg

Dropped off at ups, courtesy of member "who_dat" M5 delivery vehicle.

Sorry for the delay. If it makes you feel any better, I have four stroker motors that we were supposed to install this week but I have been driving around in the snow filled michigan trying to find a 2007 red Dodge Caliber which is my cousins car. That is $100k we could have invoiced this week but I didn't work. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1416613380.330052.jpg
Shop is packed and no one working. Family is more important than money to me so it is what it is.

Thx~

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
View attachment 494345

Dropped off at ups, courtesy of member "who_dat" M5 delivery vehicle.

Sorry for the delay. If it makes you feel any better, I have four stroker motors that we were supposed to install this week but I have been driving around in the snow filled michigan trying to find a 2007 red Dodge Caliber which is my cousins car. That is $100k we could have invoiced this week but I didn't work. View attachment 494353
Shop is packed and no one working. Family is more important than money to me so it is what it is.

Thx~
You have your priorities straight, that's for damn sure. however your business long term success is only as good as its reputation. You should have a backup plan so that even when your life goes haywire, someone is taking care of the business obligations.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Hope things work out Troy.

I can see one side of the argument here and also the other. Give Troy a break, he genuinely has other priorities here.
When I ordered an engine from him I did the same thing and grilled him for late delivery, I had my reasons to be hard on him as it was a warranty claim and the warranty company and indy was on my back. He came through.

Another thing, and I can feel for this and some people on the board can to. He is a new business owner/starter company. Anyone that has started a business knows how hectic it can be. This is where a business either succeeds or falls down, does he need more employee's, Yes. But as a new business owner he is scared to hire them.

And the last thing: $400 to plug 2 holes in a tranny. You need to have words with them, they ripped you off. For another few hundred you can have had an oil cooler installed. Your car is now up and running with a tranny that works, get over it. I bet you couldn't find a tranny from an M5 (without holes) for anywhere near the price Troy sold that one to you.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
And the last thing: $400 to plug 2 holes in a tranny. You need to have words with them, they ripped you off. For another few hundred you can have had an oil cooler installed. Your car is now up and running with a tranny that works, get over it. I bet you couldn't find a tranny from an M5 (without holes) for anywhere near the price Troy sold that one to you.
It's a bit more complicated than just simply plugging two holes...fabrication was required and PTech had to outsouce that portion of the job to a machine shop and unfortunately due to the timing of the situation, the machine shop jacked up the price of the job (so in a way, yes, you are correct that the machine ship ripped Mike off). It was out of PTech's control. But it's not my place to say much more on this; I'll leave that to Mike if he wants to get into more details.

I'm sure many, if not all, of PTech's customers will agree with me that they're not a shop whom will rip off their customers to make a few extra bucks. This was a situation where there was a price variable that was out of their control.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's a bit more complicated than just simply plugging two holes...fabrication from a machine shop was required and unfortunately due to the timing of the situation, the machine shop jacked up the price of the job. It was out of PTech's control. But it's not my place to say much more on this; I'll leave that to Mike if he wants to get into more details.

I'm sure many, if not all, of PTech's customers will agree with me that they're not a shop whom will rip off their customers to make a few extra bucks. This was a situation where there was a price variable that was out of their control.
So why not install an oil cooler, show pics of the work they did so we can see what was done. Also why were the holes not noticed before the install, I am sure they would have been oil dripping out or rags pushed into the holes to stop oil coming out.
I am just going by experience here, I personally would not install something without first checking it was the same that was coming out. I do my own work and I have had my fair share of f*ckups like this. But I dont do it professionally, some one with experience should have noticed this if they work on these cars all the time.

Is it Ptech's fault you supplied a box that wasnt right - No and they had the right to charge you more to make it work. Is it Troys fault, well thats for him to say depending what he said to you which only you and him know the truth.

Here is another thing, he supplied me a new Engine and he supplied fuel injectors with the engine. My indy used Troy's injectors not my old ones. One of Troys injectors nearly hydro locked my engine, did I go ranting and raving about it??? No, was he a pain in the *** to get a hold of to fix the problem??? Yes. Did he solve the problem??? Yes

Read through the whole board of comments trying to get into contact with Troy, there are loads of problems. You knew what you were getting into, so did I, but I took a chance because no-one else can touch his prices and stock.

Am I sticking up for Troy here?? Yes I admit, but tell me where else can I get my parts from at a good price and I will go shopping there instead.
I am still waiting on him getting back to me from september, If I really need these parts NOW i'd buy new and get shafted.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Troy has had this problem for a long time so this is nothing new. It is something he should rectify if he wants to continue doing business in general. I have waited on parts from him a few times now but luckly mine were not urgent except the SMG unit that he shipped quickly as requested.

Members can stick up for him all they want but he needs to do better bottom line, like I said this is not a new issue but a negative feedback that has still not been addressed.

Reactions: m5tong
1 - 20 of 30 Posts