BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - I've been reading these posts and archives with great interest lately. The more I read, the more nervous I am that the $49.5k price I've agreed to pay for a non-CPO, stock, 24k mile '02 car is too high. The car itself just passed a dealer inspection with flying colors.

Am I being paranoid??

Anyone know of a better deal?

·
Registered
156 Posts
As with any product, the car you are looking at is worth whatever the market will bear. However, I have a saying; If you just have to have it, you are going to get it... if you know what I mean.

Testing the market is a tricky thing, you have to be willing to risk loosing the car to another buyer.

IMHO, assumming that this car is clean and problem free it is worth the money. KBB rates it at $52K for a private sale in excellent condition.

I paid that much for my wife's minivan, and it is nowhere near the fun!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Given that the car is in pristine condition and passed inspection with "flying colors" and that you've already agreed to purchase it, I don't seen any cause for concern. Could you do better? Probably - if you have the time and it doesn't matter if you get the car now or in 6 months, and even then you might only save a couple grand. Remember - just because there might be better deals out there doesn't mean that your deal is bad. I've read of some incredible deals on this board, but almost by definition they're not the norm. So even if your price is higher than what some people here have paid for similar cars, that doesn't mean it's "too high".

mshea said:
All - I've been reading these posts and archives with great interest lately. The more I read, the more nervous I am that the $49.5k price I've agreed to pay for a non-CPO, stock, 24k mile '02 car is too high. The car itself just passed a dealer inspection with flying colors.

Am I being paranoid??

Anyone know of a better deal?

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Like the others who have posted, I think your price is acceptable. The deciding factors for a car's price are it's condition, history, and your preference for certain color combinations. These variables can really influence a price. The only certainty is the longer you wait, the lower prices will fall. If you are going to be upset in 6 months that a car similar to yours is $3K less expensive, then wait.

I say that if the car is in great condition and you like it, go for it!

Good luck.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you continue shopping, you can find a better deal -- maybe by as much as $5,000. It will probably require ~100 hours of looking/comparing/investigating and two months' time. So compare 100 hours ($50/hour) plus two months without an M5 versus the satisfaction of getting a better deal and having $5 large in your pocket. If you enjoy the hunt and hate leaving money on the table, keep looking. If you love to drive a powerful sports sedan and are sick of looking, pull the trigger and promise yourself you'll stop checking the "for sale" ads to prevent buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think the price is in line, but also agree with the other members - you can probably find a better deal but it will require a great deal of time. You sound convinced this is a mechanically sound vehicle that won't give you too much trouble, so if it's what you want buy it - the price isn't so far out of the ball park as to be outrageous.

I would ask: Is this car exactly what you want? Are the color combinations "ideal", and does it have the features you really want? If you cannot answer yes to these questions then you might resent it later (especially since you are questioning the price now).

You'll love your new Beast!

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like no one has a major problem with this $49.5k price....FYI..Galves values it at $43,750.

There is a '03 w/20k miles on eBay sporting a Dinan badge and Premium pkg. BIN price of $57.8k. Without any allowances, Galves values it at $49,950.

I can't tell for certain which Dinan upgrades the '03 includes. Aside from the Premium and Dinan gear, is there any compelling difference between an '02 and '03?

I'm simply looking for the best example I can find (by Monday!) below $55k +/- at the best price....

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
If you don't feel good tossin out 50k for a car you really prob shoun't do it on any car, and look at a price that makes you feel better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ard said:
What did the dealer inspect? This is a common source of issues, even for cpo'd cars...
The dealer did a normal CPO inspection. The only issues they found are:
1. single front rim with some curb rash and minor bend
2. one or both rear rims with possible minor bend on inside lips
3. front tires at 75% tread, rears at <50% (although add claims 75%+ for both)

Seller (retailer) only wants to credit $100 against agreed purchase price. Claims the dealer told him nothing is bent and that I should have another conversation with him. In fairness, this BMW inspector IS picky. Mechanically perfect, cosmetically perfect.

I don't mind spending the $50k (or more), just want to make sure it's the best car possible.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I agree with the others' sentiments. You can find a better deal - there is no doubt about that. I also agree that you could probably save yourself around $3 - $5k if you shop like crazy.

I had the same situation - I shopped for 6 months and bought an 01 non CPO with 18K miles for 46.5K. Has some Dinan mods and was mint, but I still think I paid too much. But I shopped like crazy and this car had the color combo and options I was looking for.

At some point, my time is worth too much and 6 months of shopping is enough. And believe me once you start driving it, this whole thing will be forgotten. I realize I spent a couple grand too much but couldn't be happier with my decision. I suspect the same will happen to you.

Good luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You have to go with your gut. If it's a good clean car, well taken care of, and the dealer gave it the thumbs up, go for it cause if you don't someone else will. Sure there will be others could be better could be worse but in the scope of things a couple grand on a 50k super car isn't that much.

Just MHO

Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hudson said:
You have to go with your gut. If it's a good clean car, well taken care of, and the dealer gave it the thumbs up, go for it cause if you don't someone else will. Sure there will be others could be better could be worse but in the scope of things a couple grand on a 50k super car isn't that much.

Just MHO

Joe
Agreed - I'm hoping to report back tomorrow on an acquistion. :1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.