BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI to all memebers,

Im newbie at this site and from south africa,im in the market to buy a e60 m5.Guys i just want to know the car i want to purchase,
fan doesnt work and the owner of car says its the fan control unit,if you drive the car and its time for the fan to come on,car goes into Limp mode.

should i go for this car? or walk away.:confused3

Regards
Brandon

·
Registered
261 Posts
How much is he asking, what year, how many miles, does he have maintenance records, does he continue to drive the car with this problem?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I would just walk away from any E60 that is reported to have problems. You never know what might go wrong and the maintenance will cost you as much as the car.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I would keep on looking.

Reactions: AWOL

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx guys..im going 2 walk away..the ouk took me for a test drive 2day but dont want to pull the car till 5000 so i guess thrs more probs thn the fan unit...other wise car is in good shape.

My shopping will continue 2morw.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
yes walk away. i'm not sure about the inventory in SA, but it's worth buying a cleaner, problem free car.

dan

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can always find another another E60, I would walk away from it and keep on searching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sad news ai!!!....purchase a nice 06 black m5....fetch the car the same day drove the car to my destination of 1500km...got home car went into limp mode..

Engine failure reduce power..yaw.

Took the car to bmw ...and the big news , sir we drained the oil and we found copper filling in the filters...

I called the owner and told him my situation. ..luckily he agreed to take the vehicle back....

Got a quote from the stealers , they said repair of engine R250 000 and new engine R350 000...thy really mad...

So my hunt for v10 will continue. ..

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Sad news ai!!!....purchase a nice 06 black m5....fetch the car the same day drove the car to my destination of 1500km...got home car went into limp mode..

Engine failure reduce power..yaw.

Took the car to bmw ...and the big news , sir we drained the oil and we found copper filling in the filters...

I called the owner and told him my situation. ..luckily he agreed to take the vehicle back....

Got a quote from the stealers , they said repair of engine R250 000 and new engine R350 000...thy really mad...

So my hunt for v10 will continue. ..
Unfortunate and fortunate all at once!

As many have said, this is a car that requires either extremely thorough research and inspection or willingness to rebuild nearly the entire engine to be happy with.

Keep at it, I'm sure you'll find a good candidate.

Sterkte!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dankie...a company here in S.a Zeemax,said ,once a m5/m6 are bought at 110000km plus or even a secondhand engine ,you must consider changing the bearings...?

What do you guys think of that

·
Registered
204 Posts
Luckily you were able to return the car with the failed motor! You might consider giving Troy Jeup a shout as I believe he's shipped an engine or two/maybe a car to S. Africa recently.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts