BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. Looking for a sanity check, but any help is appreciated it. Been looking for a nice coupe manual M6 for a few weeks now. Did a bit of forum research, and watched probably every vid on youtube in preparation. lol

I've realized that for my price range (to allow extra money for standard repairs) I'm going to be looking at M6s that are going to need the rod bearings replaced (high 80s/90s). That's why this one car is intriguing to me.

There's a 2007 M6 SMG convertible I'm looking at because they want about $10k for it. It's got 85k miles, clean title, no accidents, and 6 owners (but most were in the first 5 years of it's life, the last guy had it for like 3 years, so not as scary to me). Ad lists it as "Mechanic's special, needs rod bearing repair" According to the google machine, the shop is very reputable and has a near 5 star rating. He's what I got from them when I asked about it:

"The guy we use to do prep work was driving the car from a shop about 15 miles away. He had the top down. He said he heard it starting to make noise and he pulled over immediately. We had it towed back. Technically, the car should start fine. I just wouldn't recommend that. It would do further damage. ... If you want to talk to our guy, he is really knowledgable about that car, XXXXXXX." I plan to give the guy a call after I get some feedback from the experts here.

My main concern is that from what I've read there is no warning for this failure. No sounds or anything. And there's no way to PPI that the motor hasn't already been shelled without dropping the bottom of the motor, right? Part of me is wondering if it's the hi pressure VANOS issue since it's noisey... I'd need to get specifics from that driver.

Assuming the rest of the car is good, would yall consider this, or not touch it with a ten foot pole? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just my .02 - That price sounds high for an M6 with unconfirmed motor issues. If the rest of the car is really nice for the mileage, calculate the cost of replacing the motor (which may be required - you won't know until you open it up) into your offer. While prices seem to be leveling off a bit at current levels, you can get nice cars with higher mileage (75-100K) under $20K, some with the preventative work already done.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

🍻

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts