BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the new Pulstar sparkplugs (www.pulstarplug.com)? I plan to install a set tomorrow on my beast. I'll give you a report on the effects. Btw...does anyone know the recommended plug gap. These come pregapped at .045 but I'm sure that this is not correct for the E39 M5.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The stock plugs (NGK BKR6EQUP) come gapped at .032" and are not adjustable. I believe the Pulstar BE-1 is the closest equivalent for our cars. They come gapped at .030"
[Source: www.sparkplugs.com]

Would be interested to hear your experience with these plugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been running them for 2 1/2 months. My initial impression is that the throttle response is improved and the engine ran smoother from cold startup. It took a tank of gas for the electronics to adapt. I have noticed a 1 mile/gallon improvement. I have tracked the car twice (Buttonwillow and Cal Speedway). Everything has worked fine and there is a small but noticeable improvement in power.

Are they worth the $? I would say yes.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Doug,

Good to hear your car runs better with fresh spark plugs. :dunno:

Most cars will run measurably better with fresh plugs of any type. You could also switch from low mile $14.00 ea premium iridiums to $0.35 ea standard copper tip plugs (like most racers prefer) and experience similar results. My point is, comparing fresh plugs to used plugs provides absolutely no insight into the merits of this product.

Since you're comparing new to used, your before and after results are unintentionally skewed and almost exactly like the notorious Splitfire commercials and Hot Rodding magazine tests that used to show big dyno gains in both HP AND fuel economy that approached 10%, just from simple plug swaps. These companies got sued (and quickly lost) for false & misleading advertizing, as Splitfire's market share grew from this clever marketing hype. Please understand I'm not criticizing your post or opinion....just just pointing out that this personal test needs a big asterisk (*) to alert readers who might assume these plugs provide measureable, predictable or quantifiable gains. These plugs might win popular vote, but nomination will take a bit more scientifically-controlled testing before they find their way into my cylinder heads lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Point taken.

My Beast has 48K miles (I'm the original owner) and the NGKs I removed had about 15K. I have kept strict records (including fuel consumption) since new. The car has always been recalcitrant upon start-up with moderate surging until warm. The other stated benefits I believe to be accurate as the previous set of plugs showed no such improvement after install.

I don't work for Pulstar, just reporting my findings. Do with them what you may.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I have seen a "general trend" showing enthusiasm & positive results reported after installing fresh plugs of any type in BMW V8's, especially S62 and M62/62TU.

Improved engine smoothness and economy are invariably mentioned & I'm surely not doubting it. In the case of M62, some folks with glowing praise later experienced catastrophic electrode failures that threw tips into the combustion chambers which can destroy a cylinder. The compatibility of plugs is a serious concern, especially under severe track duty. This is why I stubbornly stick with factory-proven plugs on my BMW. Modern plugs with longer life superduper metal tips are a real concern because these harder and more durable components become an enemy under certain conditions. My Corvette loved premium platinum plugs on the street, but it ate them on track. Racers invariably run copper on the track because their soft tips will not tear up the cylinder walls when they fail AND...they are less likely to fail under low mileage. All they do is "gracefully" increase gap with miles, from harmless erosion. I don't need tool steel particles flying around inside my engine.

With cast iron cylinders, I was worried after experiencing this serious issue. With alusil cylinders & stories about non-OEM BMW plugs throwing tips, I'm now paranoid "with due cause" (wary, wise & unwilling to experiment). The sky is falling, so everyone duck....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that insight. I'll look into some different plugs for my track days. Any brand suggestions?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Thanks for that insight. I'll look into some different plugs for my track days. Any brand suggestions?
It's my understanding that the OEM M5 plugs do not lose electrodes when used on track days while it's fairly widely known that some other premium plugs DO lose electrodes when substituted in BMW apps. I surely can't say which other one's don't lose electrodes. My investigation has largely focused on 540i apps & my experience is limited to BMW OEM plug. The Pulstar plug may be stable and durable under 30 minute cycle race conditions, but who's to know for sure....I personally would not experiment.

I have not investigated which standard copper tip plugs are fully-compatible with S62 for track/race use. In the last 5 years this option to stick with classic copper electrodes has lost favor to some degree, as some racers have found modern technology long life plugs that are durable enough for a severe duty race environment. Copper tip plugs are not a very practical solution when your car sees 95% street use, unless you are willing to change plugs yearly to address premature electrode erosion wearout that quickly widens gap. In rare cases, you could wear out a set of copper plugs in a couple weekends.

It might make sense to investigate what plug models are proven favorites of serious M3 race track junkies (not experimenters) & see if that plug is offered for the S62. My guess is...many stick with proven OEM. Another approach would be to limit the pulstars to street and switch to OEM on track days.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Lscman, I have to agree with you 100%. I have seen way too many problems with using parts that a vehicle has not been manufatured to use. The engineers at BMW designed the engine to run with specific parts for a reason, and slight differences in those calibrations can on occassion be harmful to the vehicle. I don't know about the rest of you, but I rather enjoy driving my ///M and plan to keep her at OEM spec's. Right now, you do not know what the long term use of an unproven plug will do to your engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts