1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
354 Posts
It provides a pulse to the ecu to trigger a spark. (Inductive)
Points used to do it in the old days. If I'm not mistaken. :)

·
10,444 Posts
is this the piece that is attatched to the #6 plug wire? Where does it attatch to? On my car, if i'm thinking of the correct part, it was cut off (or broken off).

Can someone post a pic of where it goes? (the "sleeve" part that slides over the plug wire was sitting back by the #6 plug, under the plastic cover).

my car obviously runs, seemingly ok to me, so maybe i'm thinking of the wrong part.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mike ,

The pulse generator lead was attached to the No 6 cylinder HT lead on my car previously before the old plastic fitment snapped off ......The plug end is connected to another plug to the right of the distributor cap as you look from the front of the car ......

I hear that the pulse generator is related to the sequential fuel injection system ......yet I've heard of M5s running perfectly well without it ????

·
10,444 Posts
Hi Mike ,

The pulse generator lead was attached to the No 6 cylinder HT lead on my car previously before the old plastic fitment snapped off ......The plug end is connected to another plug to the right of the distributor cap as you look from the front of the car ......

I hear that the pulse generator is related to the sequential fuel injection system ......yet I've heard of M5s running perfectly well without it ????
i've got to look at mine, i'm pretty sure it's not connected to anything. Well, it's actually broken off. (if i'm thinking of the right part). The little nub thing is slid back on the #6 plug wire under the plastic cover that hides the spark plug leads.

If someone could snap a real picture of this and where it goes i'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'll try to get a pic for you today Mike ......

Basically , there is the plug at one end and then the other end connects to a black plastic fitment containing a copper like wire attached to HT lead number 6 ........

........I'll take a photo .....it's got to be easier !

·
10,444 Posts
I'll try to get a pic for you today Mike ......

Basically , there is the plug at one end and then the other end connects to a black plastic fitment containing a copper like wire attached to HT lead number 6 ........

........I'll take a photo .....it's got to be easier !
David, your plug lead, with the broken round thing around the wire, looks exactly like mine. The 'pulse generator' part is broken off, and completely missing. I'm wondering where it plugs in, and then if i can buy a #6 plug wire, rather than an entire set!
thanks for the pic.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The lead with the plug on it should be joined to the HT lead ....as you can see , mine has snapped off .....

The circular rubber part with exposed copper wire actually slides up and down HT Lead number 6 and is not fixed as such .....

The plug itself , connects into another plug ( furthest right as you look from the front ) that is in a line of 3 plugs at the front of the engine , just to the right of the distributor cap ......

·
10,444 Posts
The lead with the plug on it should be joined to the HT lead ....as you can see , mine has snapped off .....

The circular rubber part with exposed copper wire actually slides up and down HT Lead number 6 and is not fixed as such .....

The plug itself , connects into another plug ( furthest right as you look from the front ) that is in a line of 3 plugs at the front of the engine , just to the right of the distributor cap ......
thanks again David, i'll have to look at my car tonight. My lead is broken just like yours, the circular part with the exposed copper wiring was slid down under the plastic shroud that covers the ignition leads. Need to see if the other end is plugged into anything!
Will take some pics of mine tonight.
:cheers:

·
10,444 Posts

·
10,444 Posts
looked at my engine last weekend. My car has the other type of pulse generator, from the realoem link above. Looks to be mounted on the front of the engine, behind the water passageways.

·
Registered
584 Posts
looked at my engine last weekend. My car has the other type of pulse generator, from the realoem link above. Looks to be mounted on the front of the engine, behind the water passageways.
That may be a different type of pulse generator ie the crankshaft sensor or the camshaft sensor. BMW seems to call those, plus the pulse generator that's in the pic 'pulse generator'.

And a quick part # check at Pelican says that the one in your realoem link is indeed the crank sensor as I'd have guessed as it looks just like the crank sensor on an M50 (I've replaced one of those). You should still also have the pulse generator that's in the pics above.

·
10,444 Posts
You should still also have the pulse generator that's in the pics above.
but i don't, (just like david's my #6 plug has the part broken off the wire, and the pulse generator is nowhere to be seen, wires are not oe, so i assumed it was not a necessary part, but i'm curious now) car runs well, and there is something plugged into each of the three connectors next to the distributor
:dunno:

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike check that the ' something plugged into each of the connectors next to the distributor ' actually connects to something else ......

One of those three plugs is actually the pulse generator and may just have a loose lead hanging about around the HT lead area rather than connected to HT lead #6 ......

·
10,444 Posts
Mike check that the ' something plugged into each of the connectors next to the distributor ' actually connects to something else ......

One of those three plugs is actually the pulse generator and may just have a loose lead hanging about around the HT lead area rather than connected to HT lead #6 ......
i was thinking i should check that. I do know there is nothing in the valley where the ht leads are, did a recent plug change, no spare parts in there. My local shop made no mention of the broken piece on the #6 wire when they did my valve adjustment either...:dunno:

·
10,444 Posts
DOH!

So just a piece of broken wire hanging off the connector furthest from the distributor. Will run by my dealer to see if i'm luck and they have one in stock, taking a trip in the car on friday, would be nice to have it as close to 100% as possible, but oh well, been driving it for nearly a year without a pulse generator, so what's one more weekend.
Mike ouich

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My thoughts exactly Mike after finding my pulse generator lead was no longer connected to HT lead #6 .......

I would be interested to know exactly how important this part is in the efficient running of our cars .....

D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
8 Participants
davidoli
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing