BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not replaced any bushes or suspension yet but the car has started pulling to the left under hard braking.

While I have all of the suspension out what should I change?

Im already getting Powerflex bushes at the front and changing all of arms with balljoints.

Anything else?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:
Not replaced any bushes or suspension yet but the car has started pulling to the left under hard braking.

While I have all of the suspension out what should I change?

Im already getting Powerflex bushes at the front and changing all of arms with balljoints.

Anything else?
Sticking piston on the brake caliper ?

Farrell

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres that topic again....brakes, which I know nothing about.

How do I fix it if it is that?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:
Theres that topic again....brakes, which I know nothing about.

How do I fix it if it is that?
Remove pads,

Undo the caliper bleed nipple a quarter turn to eradicate hyrraulic pressure from behind piston.
Apply piston compressor or Medium size G clamp & see if piston moves freely back in to caliper.

If brake pads are low & piston is extended, some dirt or grit my have got past the dust seal or indeed the dust seal is damaged so check it.

If the piston is not moving in easily, then I would suggest removing the dust seal & examining the piston for corrosion damage.
Sometimes you can clean them by using hydraulic pressure from the brake pedal to push it out to fully extended position.
Dont over extend it or it will fall out so put a piece of wood in front of piston when you do this so it pushes out about 15mm.

You can clean up the piston or replace the dust seal but once damage to piston has occured you find it sticking again.

Service kits are available or you get another caliper.

Thats the way I would do it, but some would not undo the brake bleed nipple as it dores mean bleeding the brakes, but this way does mean no undue back pressure through the ABS or Master cylinder.

Farrell

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Farrell,

wanna do it for me? I cant bleed brakes.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Superb dude.

You want some powerflex bushes?

Sal

farrell said:
Yes. I will.
You come to me. Next free on friday afternoon 21st oct.

OK

Farrell

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caliper stuck really badly 2 days ago to the point that the car was dangerously pulling to the right under even light braking. Also heavy frontal vibration at anything over 40mph.

Got home to find smoke bellowing out of passenger side wheel.

Removed caliper and moved piston in and out about 10 times, removed dust cover tofind lots of dirt. Gave it a good clean.

The pads are much more worn than other die now and the disc not looking to healthy but its not pulling anymore.

Lets see how long the caliper lasts - I think I might just get a new set to avoid future problems like losing my life. Anyone have a front set for sale?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Cyrus said:
Caliper stuck really badly 2 days ago to the point that the car was dangerously pulling to the right under even light braking. Also heavy frontal vibration at anything over 40mph.

Got home to find smoke bellowing out of passenger side wheel.

Removed caliper and moved piston in and out about 10 times, removed dust cover tofind lots of dirt. Gave it a good clean.

The pads are much more worn than other die now and the disc not looking to healthy but its not pulling anymore.

Lets see how long the caliper lasts - I think I might just get a new set to avoid future problems like losing my life. Anyone have a front set for sale?
I have a std front set of calipers that have been cleaned up & serviced.
They are the single pot sliding calipers for the 3.6 & 5 spd 3.8

pm me to discuss.

Farrell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts