BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently changed the V-Belts on my 91 M5 and it got rid of some of the squeaking, but I still have a squeaking sound right around 3k rpms in 1st and 2nd. It seems to go away in the higher gears though. I have tightened and checked the belts several times and the tension seems fine so now im thinking a pulley has some worn bearings. Have you guys had this problem or do you have some suggestions on how to track down this sound. I really want to stay ahead of the game as far as maintanence goes.

I really need to take some new pics, but for now heres one. Nothing special

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not sure if this will help, but I had a persistent squeak with my '91 that behaved as you describe, going away (or at least becoming inaudible) above about 3k rpm. Turned out to be the magnetic clutch on the air pump (lower passenger side of engine).

2 of the 3 springs failed, and the magnetic clutch carrier was dragging, causing an intermittent squeak. Trouble is, that clutch, new, is like $750. HOWEVER, I came up with a $0 fix at home, basically making new springs from a strip of spring steel, and re-riveting them to the clutch. Held up fine so far (fingers crossed).

Anyway, worth a look. Look for shiny, bare metal on the face of the clutch, behind (or beneath) the ring with the 3 flat springs on the front of the air pump.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
sweet, ill have to take a look at that.

question: by air pump, do you mean the a/c? or like an air pump for emissions?

found this pic on realoem

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i hope so, this thing is driving me crazy!

any other ideas guys?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same sounds here. Alternator kaput. Left me side of the road yesterday. Battery empty.
Warning signs that battery is going empty; abs light goes on> brake light goes on and computer goes off> engine starts to judder, starts running bad> shut down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the warning, luckily none of the warning lights have come on yet

·
Registered
798 Posts
in my experience, pulleys or tensioners

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the m5 doesnt really have "tensioners" like a serp belt car. the belts are tensioned using a walker, so im really leaning towards pulleys. damn things are really annoying now, any gear over ~1500rpms and it starts whining

·
Registered
171 Posts
Along this same line, my sons 93 is making what sounds like pulley/bearing noise when first started until the air pump shuts off. It sounds to me like the air pump bearing is heading south. Not really interested in retaining the air pump anyway since no emission testing but is it possible to run a smaller fan belt to keep the A/C compressor functioning without the air pump?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is quite simple. get a small rope or string and mock up a belt that will have the proper length and take that to the local auto parts store. they will probably hate you because they will have to find one through trial and error and i would buy a few that are similar lengths just to be sure you havethe right one

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
in my experience, pulleys or tensioners
can you be a little more specific?

the noise now is bad in the colder weather, and its making the noise now pretty much anything over 1500-1800 rpms...

i had the hood up while the car was running and i would rev the motor and it sounded like it was coming from the fan, so im thinking the fan clutch maybe going out, but it doesnt really make too much sense.

i have the weekend off so i am really going to try and get a video up. my camera isnt very good, but it should get the job done.

i really want to fix this before it gets serious and its gone from an occasional problem to now a minor problem. i dont want to let it get to a major problem

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
With the engine off , move the viscous clutch fan about to check for play in the water pump .......

Are you losing any coolant ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
my '95 has just today started doing the same thing, I have only just had all the belts changed and new v-coupling fitted, so going to take it back to the garage and see.

The noise seems to be coming from the passenger side at low revs, or from a standstill giving it high revs :/

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
davidoli i havent seen any coolant loss. no puddles under the car at all :(

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Nothing to be upset about , as long as you are sure that the water pump is good .

It may be worth checking the PAS pump and pulley also .

Occasionally belts can be over-tight , leading to pump bearing damage .

D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i first noticed a sound after taking it on a road trip from seattle, washington to san jose, california and back ( about 2000 miles total) it was very faint and slowly it got louder and more noticeable. thats when i changed the belts and it got quieter temporarily, but now its back and worse. im sure its a pulley. which pulleys have bearings in them?

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Alternator is another potential suspect !

Calypso Candice whistles like a bored builder on a Friday afternoon and it's the alternator that is the cause !

D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if its the alternator what are some symptoms? i will know when its dead as the car will just die while driving... any other suggestions?

I was getting fuel today after work so i popped the hood and checked for any play in the fan, fore and aft and it was stiff, no movement at all... i have the weekend off (3 days! thanks MLK!) so i hope to at the very least have it diagnosed so i can get the parts soon

1 - 20 of 29 Posts