BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Today I picked up my 7 pound trunk sent from axis power racing. The quality is excellent, it just needs some block sanding and primer to get it ready for paint. I will leave the inside raw. It has a small duck tail built into it. I believe I can bolt everything from the original trunk over, I may leave out the actuator.
It is amazing how light this thing is!
How much did the old trunk lid weigh? This looks like a really fun project. Seems like a lot of weight was lost just in the seats and that trunk lid.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Did a 550 mile trip this weekend to take my father up to Laguna Seca / Pebble Beach car week.
My M5 ran great! We saw at leat 30 mclarens even a Senna, tons of lamborghinis (including 2 miuras and a Centenario), new Pantera and a buch of other crazy cars. Only saw one other e39 m5 - a nardo gray supercharged.
My only complaint about the trip was the lack of a resonator on the car, just too damn loud.
It was a blast taking the twisty 1 highway down through big sur.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Pulled out 30lbs of audio yeasteday. I am going to be putting in a bluetooth amp and front components only.
Also, gave the look a refresh, no more orange. I am liking the black and silver.
Also ordered some round chamber resonators to weld in where the stock one was. The car is just too loud for me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thank you, I am loving ripping around in it. The S62 is addictive
I'm adding a little weight with these round resonators. Trying to quiet it down it a bit. Also, these will allow me to get some nice mufflers. I really want supersprint - not sure if that is in the budget.
Made a carbon filler panel for the radio. I will hopefully over time add some aux stuff to it. I ordered a 2 plug usb port to stick there

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Test fit the trunk and boy is it UGLY! It really goes against the iconic good design of the e39. That profile body line on the tail does not make any sense.
I'm going with it though, lol.
Maybe when it is all blocked out and painted it will look (a little) better.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Today I welded in the exhaust resonators. It was the first time I have done my own exhaust work. It was more difficult that I would have thoguht. I have a new respect for good exhaust shops!
Happy to say that It absolutely cut out the raspy crackle and horrible drone and it still sounds plenty nasty.
Cheers,

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
a Few new little additions:
Bought a metal sunroof from Latvia. Was thinking of mounting it solid in the place of the glass or welding it in and finishing it smooth. Leaning towards welding
Got this cool usb charger with a handy volt gauge. Love it, cost $10 on ebay
Had the rotors surfaces - $15 each, what a bargain. This is definitely a place in the future I can loose some weight. Stock rotors are very heavy - Would like to get some 2 piece rotors in the future
While I had everything apart I installed a wheel stud kit. I really like the look and also they really make it easy to get the wheels on.

View attachment 931538
studs.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I just installed this killer little buletooth Soundstream amplifier. Everything I needed to hook it up was in the harnesses in the trunk. The toughest part was identifying the speaker out wires in the factory harness. The crossoevers are mounted on the back side of the masonite surface.
All I use is an iphone to control the volume, music ect.
IMG_0586.jpg

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I have owned the M5 for exactly a year now, it's been awesome.
Today I started a project that I can't wait to have all finsihed up. I pulled out the sunroof and mocked up the metal one to be welded in. I will be adding 1/8" flatbar all the way around the sunroof to fill in the gasket area and give some good meat to weld to. I am pretty stoked to take a bunch of weight out of the roof.
My last few cars have not had sunroofs and ironically I just bought a manual Cayenne with out one as well. I just don't have the hair for it : )

Cheers and happy New Year!

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
While I have my package tray out I decided to try the duplicolor interior dye paint. I forgot to take a before shot but it greatly improved how it looks. It changes the texture of the material a bit but I don't really mind.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Headliner back in with a sunroof plug I made from masonite and using the alcantara from the slider. I was going to post a picture of the sunroof progress however it is in an ugly state.
Need some finishing work before I show it. Hopefully I don't use the same weight of bondo that I took out with the sunroof : )

41 - 56 of 56 Posts