BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pulled over twice by the coppers now for random stop and searches-do other M5 drivers get this?
one heard my dump valve and checked my insurance covered it which it did - he commented "an honest driver for once"
the other time the police thought i wasn't wearing seatbelts-but had harnesses on so ?still road legal last time i checked.
both wanted to pop the hood.
still twice in the space of a week.
think i may need to ditch the m5 numberplate and ca automotive window decals. getting black grilles and having the intercooler dusted black next week and may change my bbs wheel decals to bmw for absolute stealth.+change the door inserts to clear black rather than the ones with the m5 logo on.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Interesting, LEO's here can not have you pop the hood or search your car without your permission unless they get a search warrant or have probable cause (ie: Guns in plain sight (without permit to carry) or drugs in plain sight etc.).

·
Registered
178 Posts
What the OP maybe talking about is similar to the LE in other cities/states. Because of too many folks street racing, they'll pull over suspicious vehicles and check for aftermarket parts. I'm not familiar with UK's laws on insurance + aftermarket parts, but in Los Angeles for example, aftermarket emission control devices (i.e. catalytic converter, exhaust, etc) have to be CARB certified otherwise will be considered illegal. LAPD has also measured how high the headlights and bumpers are off the ground for a lowered car to determine if they exceed DOT standards. If it's too low, then a ticket will be given. But like TJ said, opening the hood would be similar to searching the interior of the vehicle - they'll need probable cause or a search warrant.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
not sure what the rules are on opening the bonnet in the UK.
they were curious i think.
i think it's the whole black car, tinted windows, rnb playing, eisenmann race exhaust thing.believe it or not I was only doing 30mph as i was pulling away from the roundabout when they pulled me over, but he commented on the acceleration and the sound of the dump valve and pulled me over. revs were only at 4000 and was just about to switch in to 5th gear and cruise.
i spoke to CA this morning who suggested i do a burnout outside the local police station so they all know who i am. (joke)
am seriously considering it. :wroom:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've been pulled over twice by the coppers now for random stop and searches-do other M5 drivers get this?
one heard my dump valve and checked my insurance covered it which it did - he commented "an honest driver for once"
the other time the police thought i wasn't wearing seatbelts-but had harnesses on so ?still road legal last time i checked.
both wanted to pop the hood.
still twice in the space of a week.
think i may need to ditch the m5 numberplate and ca automotive window decals. getting black grilles and having the intercooler dusted black next week and may change my bbs wheel decals to bmw for absolute stealth.+change the door inserts to clear black rather than the ones with the m5 logo on.

Things getting a little tight there in Merry Ole England :hihihi:

·
Registered
156 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
I've not had it myself, well not for years anyway. I suspect that the tinted windows and exhaust are behind it; the modifications may well give them cause to check that the vehcile is in what they consider to be a roadworthy condition :dunno:

What borough was this in?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've not had it myself, well not for years anyway. I suspect that the tinted windows and exhaust are behind it; the modifications may well give them cause to check that the vehcile is in what they consider to be a roadworthy condition :dunno:

What borough was this in?

london borough of sutton and merton

it's only a very light tint.
once they knew i was a doc all was cool. they had no concerns about me being a pimp.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
It's rare that I get pulled. I often notice the police (marked and unmarked) following me for a bit when I have been working far from home, at night in the less salubrious areas of our fine kingdom.

The police regularly stop and ask me what I am doing when working at night, but most of that is probably me looking suspicious rather than the car. A fair few times though, they have said that it is a high performance car, driven by a young man in a dodgy area, and they wanted to check that it hadn't been nicked, for which they have my thanks. My car is stock so only stands out to those in the know...

Your car is fantastic, by the way.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Debadge it

Ive never once been pulled over in my M5

The radar detector is partly to blame, but the car is also a subtle black with no badges and stock wheels

·
Registered
84 Posts
Interesting, LEO's here can not have you pop the hood or search your car without your permission unless they get a search warrant or have probable cause (ie: Guns in plain sight (without permit to carry) or drugs in plain sight etc.).
That's true for the most part but they can search your car if you were infracting a law such as speeding or no seat belt which if they want too they can arrest you for. Ask me how I know! Genarally the hood pop hear is to check to see if the motor is stolen generally a ricer problem.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Stickers on car = cop magnet.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Never been pulled over in mine and it is very very loud

cheers

·
Registered
253 Posts
the cops can pull any vehicle they want to check it's legality.

They aren't allowed to search the car without good reason, pretty much like the americans. but they can ask, and if you oblige then it's all legal.

often cops will stop nice cars to have a look as lots of cops are car nuts. but there are so many nice and modified cars where the owners aren't properly insured or they are on their parents insurance, especially cars like ours that are coveted by gangsters and drug dealers...

if they are friendly and respectful i'd take it as a compliment.

if they are less than polite then i wouldn't stand for it at all.

if you are getting stopped by the same cops regularly and you have done nothing wrong and are a law abiding citizen then i would complain

all depends on attitude imo

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the cops can pull any vehicle they want to check it's legality.

They aren't allowed to search the car without good reason, pretty much like the americans. but they can ask, and if you oblige then it's all legal.

often cops will stop nice cars to have a look as lots of cops are car nuts. but there are so many nice and modified cars where the owners aren't properly insured or they are on their parents insurance, especially cars like ours that are coveted by gangsters and drug dealers...

if they are friendly and respectful i'd take it as a compliment.

if they are less than polite then i wouldn't stand for it at all.

if you are getting stopped by the same cops regularly and you have done nothing wrong and are a law abiding citizen then i would complain

all depends on attitude imo
different officers on each occasion, on the second occasion, one of the officers was quite unpleassant-he actually accused me of not wearing my seatbelt whilst driving, basing it on the fact that when i parked up, with the engine off and my hand brake on that he noted my seat belt was off.when i advised him i'd disconnected my seat belt as i'd parked up he wouldn't believe me. then when he noted my harnesses he questioned their legality....but a cop should know if they're road legal or not......anyway, nothing came it, the other officer was thoroughly polite and diffused the situation. i'll have to remember that now, seat belt on at all times when pulled over by police, even when engine's switched off.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The inverse also applies when the cops hit the lights: pullover, turn-off engine, roll-down window, put on seat belt.

·
Registered
84 Posts
different officers on each occasion, on the second occasion, one of the officers was quite unpleassant-he actually accused me of not wearing my seatbelt whilst driving, basing it on the fact that when i parked up, with the engine off and my hand brake on that he noted my seat belt was off.when i advised him i'd disconnected my seat belt as i'd parked up he wouldn't believe me. then when he noted my harnesses he questioned their legality....but a cop should know if they're road legal or not......anyway, nothing came it, the other officer was thoroughly polite and diffused the situation. i'll have to remember that now, seat belt on at all times when pulled over by police, even when engine's switched off.
Some law enforcement officals just choose not pay attention to there ethics training. Protecting and serving the general public has gone out the window some time ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts