BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small oil leak (no oil in my garage) that dealer found, and has to replace an oil line. They say they have to pull the transmission to get to it. It's under warranty, and I trust my service advisor, but I would never have thought that the trans would have to be moved to get to the hose. I'll be without the beast this weekend/next week:crying: I've only had her for two weeks, and I thought dropping her off today would be a one day in and out. They are trying to find me a loaner.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
It sounds very far-fetched. You might ask what this oil line goes to because I can't think of any oil line that would require access via tranny removal. The crankcase ventilation & oil separator system may be buried behind the motor on the S62, I don't know. My M62 system is more accessible from the top & the intake assembly must be pulled to access piping to the front of the motor. I doubt if the crankcase sump oiling system or oil cooler has any external lines going rearward or over the bell housing.

I wonder if they're milking BMW warranty allowances for 8 hours labor to do something else? This is frowned upon, but not unheard of. Hopefully it's not to cover a goodwill repair on somebody else's vehicle (lol).

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well last night I wanted to delete this post, because they gave me a little more information. It wasn't a hose that they thought was leaking, but the main seal between the engine and transmission. After they removed some lower brackets, and cleaned it up a little, now it appears that it was the oil pan seal, so no removal of the trans. Should have the car back Monday evening.

My loaner car is a 325i, and even though I've only had my M5 for two weeks, I got in the loaner, and I can't get comfortable in the seat, I don't like the steering wheel, it doesn't have a good engine/exhaust note, and its lacking big time in power (but it gets a lot better gas milage). Years ago, when the 325 was the big engine, my family had one, and I thought that car was awesome, now I can't imagine buying one as a daily driver. I'm afraid to think what I'd do if something happened to my M5. Once you've owned an M5, where do you go from there (2 seat Italian sports cars excluded)?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
03BeastCharmer said:
Well last night I wanted to delete this post, because they gave me a little more information. It wasn't a hose that they thought was leaking, but the main seal between the engine and transmission. After they removed some lower brackets, and cleaned it up a little, now it appears that it was the oil pan seal, so no removal of the trans. Should have the car back Monday evening.

My loaner car is a 325i, and even though I've only had my M5 for two weeks, I got in the loaner, and I can't get comfortable in the seat, I don't like the steering wheel, it doesn't have a good engine/exhaust note, and its lacking big time in power (but it gets a lot better gas milage). Years ago, when the 325 was the big engine, my family had one, and I thought that car was awesome, now I can't imagine buying one as a daily driver. I'm afraid to think what I'd do if something happened to my M5. Once you've owned an M5, where do you go from there (2 seat Italian sports cars excluded)?
Makes sense. Can;t help you on the M5 progression ladder. Most steps lead downward....just talk to Elevens.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I imagine the next step after E39 M5, would be E60 M5! I just can't imagine any other substitute:M5launch:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts