BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a beautiful day in Chicagoland today and I went on a cruise with a bunch of BMWs (and some other types of cars as well). As a side note, I lasted almost 45 minutes on a 2+ hour cruise, which is pretty good :)

RANT ON

Unfortunately, while I was on the cruise I kept ending up behind cars that didn't have cats :( and most of those also didn't have any sort of mufflers :crying:

Look, your car smells like crap and everybody thinks that it is a POS that needs to spend some time in the shop, not some sort of sophisticated, over-engineered q-ship. PUT CATS ON YOUR EXHAUST.

Also, that super loud exhaust also makes your car seem like everything you make fun of in other cars, trust me on this one ;)

It is not difficult to make just as much power with cats and a proper exhaust, just do it.

RANT OFF/

Of course it's your car and your decision, but give it some thought.....

Back to your regularly scheduled oil programming.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Nah, I'll do what I want. I love the smell of high octane fuel burning. If you don't, don't drive behind me - I mean hey, you've got enough power to get in front dont cha?

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nah, I'll do what I want. I love the smell of high octane fuel burning. If you don't, don't drive behind me - I mean hey, you've got enough power to get in front dont cha?
That's not a problem, but you should consider routing your exhaust to the front of the car so you can soak in the full effect :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I was stuck behind a couple GT-Rs with out cats. The worst though was an unidentifiable E90 3 series of some kind that seemed to have straight pipes coming out of the block. It stank and was so loud I ended up pulling over to put some cars between us...

On the plus side, my solo car caravan through Starved Rock was great fun!

Reactions: AGM5

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
It was a beautiful day in Chicagoland today and I went on a cruise with a bunch of BMWs (and some other types of cars as well). As a side note, I lasted almost 45 minutes on a 2+ hour cruise, which is pretty good :)

RANT ON

Unfortunately, while I was on the cruise I kept ending up behind cars that didn't have cats :( and most of those also didn't have any sort of mufflers :crying:

Look, your car smells like crap and everybody thinks that it is a POS that needs to spend some time in the shop, not some sort of sophisticated, over-engineered q-ship. PUT CATS ON YOUR EXHAUST.

Also, that super loud exhaust also makes your car seem like everything you make fun of in other cars, trust me on this one ;)

It is not difficult to make just as much power with cats and a proper exhaust, just do it.

RANT OFF/

Of course it's your car and your decision, but give it some thought.....

Back to your regularly scheduled oil programming.
Speaking of oil, did you stop by Walmart on the way home to grab supplies for your next oil change?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Look, although I wasn't privileged enough to be travelling in said convoy i'll say this.

You may think some people have loud exhausts for the sake of it. But i fitted an Eisenmann Race system to my car. And by system, i mean just rear boxes, but thats not how its described by Eisenmann so it must be better.

Further to that, i could have opted for the "Sport" "System" but i don't know if you realise this but i own an actual Supercar.

By virtue of the fact i own a supercar, my rear boxes qualify as a system, and its defined by the manufacturer as "race" spec, then of course it means its by and large superior to pretty much anything else you can do to the exhuast on this car.

You just have to get educated that its not simply about noise.

(its all about noise, noise by definition being unwanted sound)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Look, although I wasn't privileged enough to be travelling in said convoy i'll say this.

You may think some people have loud exhausts for the sake of it. But i fitted an Eisenmann Race system to my car. And by system, i mean just rear boxes, but thats not how its described by Eisenmann so it must be better.

Further to that, i could have opted for the "Sport" "System" but i don't know if you realise this but i own an actual Supercar.

By virtue of the fact i own a supercar, my rear boxes qualify as a system, and its defined by the manufacturer as "race" spec, then of course it means its by and large superior to pretty much anything else you can do to the exhuast on this car.

You just have to get educated that its not simply about noise.

(its all about noise, noise by definition being unwanted sound)
I honestly can't tell if you're serious or trolling.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
That's not a problem, but you should consider routing your exhaust to the front of the car so you can soak in the full effect :)
I like that idea. I'll see about routing my exhaust right into my A/C vents so I can smell that sweet sweet high octane fuel

If I ever get lightheaded I hope I remember to crack the sunroof

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Says the guy asking about Walmart Oil LOL!

In one respect its good i've thrown you a curve ball.

On the other hand i'm actually hurt you accuse me of trolling. I mean, when Rob does it its sarcasm and everyone gets it. When i do it people think i'm being funny for the sake of it and trying to gain a reaction.

Dissapointed.

PS , i'm still trolling.......................hiha

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bad. I realise when i have to point out trolling and sarcasm, i've pretty much blown it.

Sorry for taking the serious discussion of supercar exhaust choices off topic.
Recognizing that you have a problem is the first step. ;)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts

On the other hand i'm actually hurt you accuse me of trolling. I mean, when Rob does it its sarcasm and everyone gets it. When i do it people think i'm being funny for the sake of it and trying to gain a reaction.

Dissapointed.

When I was talking to Rob this morning, he really did say he was going to Walmart to buy oil :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
grumble grumble rant rant

If the music's too loud, you're getting too old hiha ...I will be sure to cruise in front of you next year at Timmayfest :rolleyes: grrrrrrr

In all seriousness I have to agree, it took me less than a summer of driving with no cats to realize that it is pointless - I would gladly give up even 30whp to get rid of the horrible, eye-watering smell.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
While we are doing PSA's... Please don't tint your brake lights. Those lights are highly visible for a reason!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Ok so did ANYONE enjoy my cruise?
I was expecting 30 cars today and had to deal with 60 cars.
It was a mad house.
I had a fun day. It was a bit of a mad house, especially the McDonalds Incident. I avoided a ticket by the skin of my teeth. But yes, it was a fun, if intense, day. Thanks for organizing it!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

Dissapointed.

The Colonials don't properly (with exceptions) understand the art of sarcasm.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts