BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im getting a local Independant BMW Specialist(NOT a tuner!!) to fit the PSS9's for me this Friday and i was wondering if anyone who has had these fitted could let me know in advance of any prob's regarding fitting them compared to standard set up's?Also when the Billi's are getting fitted,would you suggest that i leave them until they are on for a while before playing with them a bit:wroom:

Thanks

Fraser:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,006 Posts
Read my thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read your thread and found it very informative thank you


Only wondering if i should tell the guy's who are fitting it of any difference's in fitting the Coil over unit over fitting a standard set up


Cheeeeeers:haha:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,006 Posts
no, if he is compitant he's good to go so long as he can read the directions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
big fra said:
Im getting a local Independant BMW Specialist(NOT a tuner!!) to fit the PSS9's for me this Friday and i was wondering if anyone who has had these fitted could let me know in advance of any prob's regarding fitting them compared to standard set up's?Also when the Billi's are getting fitted,would you suggest that i leave them until they are on for a while before playing with them a bit:wroom:

Thanks

Fraser:thumbsup:
If you read other PSS9 threads here, you will realize that this kit is designed to fit cars running stock front wheels (or similar) with lots of room between the strut and tire sidewall. Additional wheel backspacing due to wider wheel or less positive offset can lead to problems. Since you do not run stock wheels, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Lscman said:
If you read other PSS9 threads here, you will realize that this kit is designed to fit cars running stock front wheels (or similar) with lots of room between the strut and tire sidewall. Additional wheel backspacing due to wider wheel or less positive offset can lead to problems. Since you do not run stock wheels, you may be in for an unpleasant surprise.
Oh goodyouich

How can i remedy the situation,Rogue spacers??:confused2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
big fra said:
Oh goodyouich

How can i remedy the situation,Rogue spacers??:confused2
The stock frt wheels are approximately 18 mm positive offset and 8" wide. Nobody can predict if you'll have a problem or recommend a fix without knowing your wheel specs. If your wheels are too wide, there is no fix. If you have backspacing less than or equal to OEM, you will not run into trouble...everything will fit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,006 Posts
big fra said:
Oh goodyouich

How can i remedy the situation,Rogue spacers??:confused2

What are you running a 305 up front? Why woun't it fit? More room now than with the stock springs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
They'll fit just fine, I have the PSS9's and am running the LM's with 255-35-19 and 285-30-19 with no rubbing issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
madyspop said:
They'll fit just fine, I have the PSS9's and am running the LM's with 255-35-19 and 285-30-19 with no rubbing issues.
If that's a deffo mate then that will save me the £180 for the spacers!

Ur sure i take ithmmm:haha:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
I am absolutely sure, I don't rub at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
I'll get some pics , I up later, I went with the 255 up front instead of the 245 becuase the roads here suck and the taller tire gives me more of a smooth ride. Not as low profile as I wanted but I can live with it, I can't beleive how much stiffer the SO3 is then the PIlot A/S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
madyspop said:
I'll get some pics , and post later, I went with the 255 up front instead of the 245 becuase the roads here suck and the taller tire gives me more of a smooth ride. Not as low profile as I wanted but I can live with it, I can't beleive how much stiffer the SO3 is then the PIlot A/S.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
I have yet to see any replies from folks running anything wider than 8" in front. A 255 tire on an 8" wheel should not be a problem...that adds less than 5mm (1/5") of additional bulge to the tire sidewall, when the same wheel width is used.

Jayson,

Could you kindly explain how the PSS9 increases strut-to-tire clearance compared to stock? Are the strut tubes smaller diameter? This is the only possible explanation. If so, what is their diameter? The one picture I've seen of PSS9 installed on E39 shows the PSS9 tender spring and lower perch being positioned below the top of the tire tread, beside the tire sidewall. In OEM configuration, all spring and perch hardware is ABOVE the tire. With oversized wheels such as 9.5" rears & 3mm spacers, there is only about 3 to 5mm of tire sidewall clearance. Tender springs are not 2mm thick, so they would not seem to fit in this tiny 3mm clearance. This perch and tender spring hardware on Pss9 would seem to fit with 8" wheels that provide about 1" of tire sidewall clearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,515 Posts
big fra said:
I have BBS LM's with 245/35/19" up front and 275/30/19's on the rear


Wheel size's 81/2 x 19 up front and 10 x 19's on back:sad1:

Do you guy's think they wil fit ok
Without backspacing or offset specs, it is impossible to predict fitment. Call the mfr and get full specs. For example, if your front wheel offset specification is positive 35mm, then the maximum width wheel that would fit would be 7" wide with a max tire size around 225mm. Anything larger would rub the strut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,006 Posts
Lscman said:
I have yet to see any replies from folks running anything wider than 8" in front. A 255 tire on an 8" wheel should not be a problem...that adds less than 5mm (1/5") of additional bulge to the tire sidewall, when the same wheel width is used.

Jayson,

Could you kindly explain how the PSS9 increases strut-to-tire clearance compared to stock? Are the strut tubes smaller diameter? This is the only possible explanation. If so, what is their diameter? The one picture I've seen of PSS9 installed on E39 shows the PSS9 tender spring and lower perch being positioned below the top of the tire tread, beside the tire sidewall. In OEM configuration, all spring and perch hardware is ABOVE the tire. With oversized wheels such as 9.5" rears & 3mm spacers, there is only about 3 to 5mm of tire sidewall clearance. Tender springs are not 2mm thick, so they would not seem to fit in this tiny 3mm clearance. This perch and tender spring hardware on Pss9 would seem to fit with 8" wheels that provide about 1" of tire sidewall clearance.

Strut tubes are about the same, with a much larger strut rod. They are coilovers so the lower the car the lower the spring perch, perhaps that guys car was reaaaaaaaaaaaaallly low. With mine it at almost the same level as stock (spring perch). I know how wide a 265 is and I belive with the proper drop (read not ricer) and proper offset I belive it will fit. Somebody bring me a 9 inch or 9.5 inch wide wheel and I'll fit it. Theres a good bit more than 1" of tire sidewall clearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
Here is a shot of the GC Koni and lower adjustable spring perch with a 9.5" rear rim up front using a 3mm spacer and 275/35 tire. You can see what Rick is referring to here if the helper spring extends below the top of the tire:



Here is the stock rim, 8", with 245/40 tire:

 
1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Top