BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As in are you rotating the fronts side to side? Why or why not?
Can't seem to find a consensus. Would seem to make sense for overall greater longevity.
TIA

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Are the tires directional?

·
Registered
02' Carbon Black M5 & 11' Alpine White 335D M Sport
139 Posts
I did not do any rotations on my current set.

25K miles on the fronts
11K first set of rears (Costco deemed factory defect, I say over inflation but wasn't going to argue with their $175 credit for 2 new rears:applause:)

Fronts have cords showing on both edges, two Auto X days, lots of canyon miles and worn control arm bushings. New parts will go on before I put another set on and get an alignment.

I will probably be rotating the next set and hopefully grab a few extra miles out of them.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have a square setup with Pilot Super Sports. I'm rotating front to back only. I read somewhere that rotating side to side makes the tires slippery for some reason. Not sure if there is any validity, but since the rears wear on the inside and the fronts wear on the outside, I figure I'm getting the intended results of rotating either way.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Nope. They are not symmetrical.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Agree with above. PSS are not symmetrical. Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought this precluded rotating side to side.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You're correct: asymmetrical tires cannot be rotated on the same axle. Well, you can do whatever you want with your tires... but you're not supposed to swap these. They're running in suboptimal conditions now and you're not getting the performance you paid for. If longevity is an issue, buy symmetrical tires.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
You're correct: asymmetrical tires cannot be rotated on the same axle. Well, you can do whatever you want with your tires... but you're not supposed to swap these. They're running in suboptimal conditions now and you're not getting the performance you paid for. If longevity is an issue, buy symmetrical tires.
Curiously, what are you referring to here: "They're running in suboptimal conditions now and you're not getting the performance you paid for" (?)

Regarding the original inquiry (PSS rotation on a staggered setup) & yep, its turning into the typical oil thread, many opinions exist both here and on numerous other forums such as below, with minimal resolution. Best as I can decipher and so long as 'Outside' remains the same, fronts 'can' be swapped side to side.

Tire Rotation for Michelin Pilot Super Sport - E46Fanatics

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Best as I can decipher and so long as 'Outside' remains the same, fronts 'can' be swapped side to side.
Correct.

Reactions: vics

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
I'm confused. With flipping them as such on the same axle, doesn't that invert the tread direction?
PSS are not directional tires. That have no rotation preference.

Reactions: vics

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
PSS are not directional tires. That have no rotation preference.
Okay.

So if you flipped them on the same axle to maintain the "outside" designation, you've accomplished nothing. Why would one want to do this?
The inner camber wear, for example, will still be on the inside.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay.

So if you flipped them on the same axle to maintain the "outside" designation, you've accomplished nothing. Why would one want to do this?
The inner camber wear, for example, will still be on the inside.
Road crown, tech's built in alignment, suspension inequalities (wear) per side, driving & cornering habits, etc., all point to the fact that no two tires will ever wear identically, hence the rationale for rotation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts