BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the way my M5 now drives, feels & corners with the new PSS-9 kit & the fresh PS-2 rubber on her. However, I have her set to a 3 all around & I now feel the need to crank it up to 2. Bear in mind that 1 is as stiff as she gets. Is this because I'm young & I like/prefer a fairly taught ride? Or is it because the chassis is such a well built piece of metal, that a 2 would do no harm & I would like it? My car sits about 1/2" below the factory ride height so she looks "close to" stock. She rides like a dream & I have thought that having her at 3 is the best balance/compromise between a semi-comfortable ride (uneven pavement at highway speeds can send shocks through any car even the M5) & a firm handler.

Just curious on what you PSS-9 owners feel about these settings. I haven't put the DINAN rear bar on yet, but I plan to do so in the near future. I realize this small change (setting her from a 3 to a 2 now) is a quick & simple one. I have heard that those last couple of settings really offer the most/largest percentage of stiffness change -- compared to the others.

Please offer any insight & experience/knowledge that you have with this subject matter. THANK YOU in advance guys... ! :cheers:

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
What is your goal in firming up the dampers? If the car handles well and rides ok why change it? I would stiffen them up for the track but let them be where they are. I typically run mine midway - 4 or 5, anything more than that doesn't improve the car on the street IMO. Roads are too rough and if you run a stiff setup bumps in a curve are bad mojo.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
It really is personal preference, Kevin. The great thing about coilovers is your ability to change when you feel like it. people have different comfort tolerance levels, and while I love mine at 4 all around, others are fine with the factory 6. I recommend trying different settings as you are the person who drives the car. Try them out and see how you like the handling versus comfort. Remember, you CAN change at any time ;)

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
How stiff is too stiff? That's completely up to you. You're going to get allllllllll sorts of conflicting answers on here. Dial it to what you like and rock out.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Maybe add a poll to encourage responses on where people have there's set. I think I hear where your coming from in terms of any suspension setup being a compromise and the wish for it to be a bit firmer sometimes and more compliant at others..

Some of the jap cars have fancy servo motors attached to the shocks which can adjust the suspension on the fly, I wonder how hard it would be to add this to my BC coilovers..

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
There are a few threads in the past with polls, including one I made.

Reactions: wkd928

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback & input guys. I have been away from this site for almost 2 full days now. LOL I agree that this is all personal preference. I have the car at all the way around. There is a tad more noise over large piece of broken pavement & crappy roads that transfer into the cabin upon initial impact. I think 4 is the best compromise between a smooth (like stock ride) while maintaing a slightly better then factory sport feel. But I like things on the firm side so the 3 works for me.

I should probably just leave the settings alone at this point but I want to see what the 2 settings feels like. I have hear that the difference between the last coupe of clicks, really make the largest difference in stiffness adjusting... Guess there is only one way to really find out.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I have hear that the difference between the last coupe of clicks, really make the largest difference in stiffness adjusting... Guess there is only one way to really find out.
Good luck, Kevin. I personally can feel the difference each "click" makes. Enjoy 2 while you can :grinyes:

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good luck, Kevin. I personally can feel the difference each "click" makes. Enjoy 2 while you can :grinyes:
Haha Ya, I think there is a point were the owner must leave his car alone. LOL I think I'm going to just stay with the "3 setting" that I'm at now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts