BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are using Harbor Freight Jack Stands, there is a recall since some of these collapse. This is obviously deadly. Stay safe.

this guy did a video months ago before the recall.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Yep found out about this earlier today. I have 2 sets of 3 ton. One steel and one alum. I think I’m good with my 2 sets but yea check yours and stay safe

·
Registered
689 Posts
I also got the recall letter in the mail. I never felt these sat right with our support pads under the car so I ever rarely used them. I see that as a good thing now!

Wish we had something like this for our cars. Would be $$$ tho...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
I saw the recall as well. Went out and checked mine immediately.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yep, I have two set of the affected 6 ton jacks. Took them to HB today to swap but they are all out of the replacements and they would only offer a gift card for a partial credit today. Chose to wait until they are stocked then its an even swap.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I also got the recall letter in the mail. I never felt these sat right with our support pads under the car so I ever rarely used them. I see that as a good thing now!

Wish we had something like this for our cars. Would be $$$ tho...

What do you mean? I have 2 jackpoints that I use for my M5. Not cheap but worth every penny.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
We actually have 6 jacking points, 5 with pads, the 6th being the IRON part of the lower diff housing. jacking from the central points allows you to use the points on sides for jack stands. I think this is a nice feature that BMW designed in.

I’m not sure what the deal was with 3 of my cars but they were missing the front center jacking pad that is secured to the sub frame. I’ve just assumed some dipsh*t mechanic had removed it at some point. Curious to know if others are missing theirs also.

There are rubber hockey puck style pads that have a rectangular top side that fit inside of the side jacking points. It prevents the deforming of the plastic jacking points. However they are more for the flat circular pad on a typical jack and less compatible with the top of typical jack stands. These pads with flat bottoms would not be safe to use with jack stands.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
There are rubber hockey puck style pads that have a rectangular top side that fit inside of the side jacking points. It prevents the deforming of the plastic jacking points. However they are more for the flat circular pad on a typical jack and less compatible with the top of typical jack stands. These pads with flat bottoms would not be safe to use with jack stands.
Yea i have onE of the hockey pucks with the rectangle on top that goes in the side skirt jack points. Really nice to use with floor jacks. You still end up destroying those side skirt jack points with jack stands bc they are hard plastic (which crumble) surround and not meant to hold weight

·
Registered
329 Posts
$300 for a pair of jack stands seems like a lot, plus your limited on the height. Im more than happy with the HF 6T stands and will be fine once i've swapped mine out for 4 new ones. Also, if your worried about deforming the frame pads just get the rubber jack pads that slip over the top of the stand. These work great.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Those pads that slip over from HF I’ve found to fit well on certain HF models (steel) and not the others (allum). Plus it’s not an exact fit so you have to be careful they don’t move around the jack stand or the side skirt mounting point

1 - 12 of 12 Posts