BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

One of the option that my dealer is offering me is called Protective Glazing with a price of $3500. Any one can advise what is it? ??????

Also, another option called :
LIGHT ALLOY WHEELS DOUBLE SPOKE POLISHED & FORGED 167 M

Is that a 20'' rim?

Thanks,

·
Registered
67 Posts
Saudi_M5 said:
Hi All,

One of the option that my dealer is offering me is called Protective Glazing with a price of $3500. Any one can advise what is it? ??????

Is that a 20'' rim?

Thanks,
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the protective glazing is laminated glass. In the case of someone trowing a stone trough your window the glass won't fall apart and should protect you in a carjacking or when someone is trying to take something from your car. It's not bullitproof though.

The light alloy wheels are I think the M6 wheels you can also order on the M5.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Standard M5 wheel is called style 166M.

Optional M6 wheel is called style 167M. European cost is approx 2500 Euros.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Standard M5 wheel is called style 166M.

Optional M6 wheel is called style 167M. European cost is approx 2500 Euros.
In Belgium (according to the official website) these alloys cost € 1300,00 and are 19".
Also on the website I saw the option infra-red protection glazing for € 1100,00. On the German website they call it "klimakomfort - verbundverglazung" and it costs € 980,00. It's the same thing but the German site is clearer about it. "Verbundverglazung" means laminated glass and will protect you temporarily in the case of a carjacking.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
I guess my info was out of date or the cost in Germany
is much higher - thanks Bart.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Saudi_M5 said:
So Guyz do you think M6 wheels will fit the M5?
Well if they offer it as an option I'd say 'yes'. If there is a different offset then the option would include spacers/adjusters to suit. There are a number of cars out there already with M6 wheels fitted:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks Ashok, I guess the wheels looks awesome on the car.

How about the other members, what's their opinion?

·
Registered
559 Posts
In Canada, I'd love to have one set (the M6 wheels) for the summer and the other (the M5 wheels) for the winter, but that's not realistic because you do need skinnier and higher profile tires for the winter. It'll be interesting to see what BMW Canada Inc. puts together for us by way of a winter wheel and tire package.

Of course, you don't have to worry about that in Riyadh!:byebye:

Best regards,

·
Registered
67 Posts
Saudi_M5 said:
Many thanks Ashok, I guess the wheels looks awesome on the car.

How about the other members, what's their opinion?
I favour the M6 wheels too. They give a much cleaner look than the standard wheels, especially when choosing a darker exterior colour. I also like how you get a clean look at the braking disks. So definitely a go option.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Thats nice... I think the #167 wheels go well with the M5. Both #166 and #167 look nice!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gustav said:
Actually not :) I haev never been to Saudi but I would liek to go sometime :M5thumbs:
You will be most welcomed to have a desert cruise with my M5 once it is arrived :1:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Protective glazing is a laminate to reduce the ease of break in through the window. It has been removed as an option on the UK cars as there was apparently a problem with the lift mechanism of the window not working with this. I spoke to BMW UK specifically as I wanted this option and they checked with the M division and it was definitely not available. It may be an option again in the future, so keep asking if you want it!

P
Saudi_M5 said:
Hi All,

Is that a 20'' rim?

Thanks,

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Thanks for bringing things back on topic turton.

There are a number of aftermarket companies offering 'protective' films that can be applied to the glass to give some anti-bandit protection.

For example, have a look at this:

http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/

·
Registered
98 Posts
Pentagon did my 545i and they did a great job, security laminated and tinted film applied to all windows (except front screen). Cost about £850.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts