BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some ideas. I will be installing new foglight covers with a 3" air intake opening. I believe this will be almost directly in front of my Dinan air intake filters. I also have the "dust covers" or "hydro shields" on my filters and the Dinan metal water shields.

1) Do I even need to worry about water?
2) Could it be as simple as drilling a few holes on the bottom of the the intake tube?

Options:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Holes on the bottom of the intake tube will give you essentailly small symptoms of what you would have with a vacuum leak, as well as completely negating any benefit of the CAI by creating a vast amount of turbulence

You do not need to worry about it anymore than you should now with your Dinan with it's hydro sock. Getting the air filter a little wet wont kill it - its if you actually start sucking up only water that you are in trouble. If the front of your car is submerged, Dinan sock or not your car will probably hydrolock

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,698 Posts
I've got a Cosmo CAI (same as Dinan but metal) and the filters are basically sitting right behind my trimmed (open) foglight covers. I've been running like this for almost a year, through some HEAVY rain, slush, straight snow ect... At first I was worried, but i've never had any issues thus far. I think even if the front of the filter gets wet, the back stays dry and its not enough to make any detrimental effect. This is my experience, and speculation only. Proceed at your own risk!

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I strongly believe you do not need to be worried about water. The actual filter needs to be SUBMERGED in water, meaning, you'd need to be driving in a good few feet of standing water, to risk damaging your engine aka hydrolock. There is a video on the internet of an intake being tested in such fashion, with the intake tubes being clear to show how much water (or lack thereof) actually enters the tube. In the video, it is not until the filter is completely submerged under water, where the water is actually sucked through to the engine.

I would recommend against drilling any holes on the intake tubes, as it is meant to be completely enclosed as air travels through.

Reactions: evolve automotive

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I strongly believe you do not need to be worried about water. The actual filter needs to be SUBMERGED in water, meaning, you'd need to be driving in a good few feet of standing water, to risk damaging your engine aka hydrolock. There is a video on the internet of an intake being tested in such fashion, with the intake tubes being clear to show how much water (or lack thereof) actually enters the tube. In the video, it is not until the filter is completely submerged under water, where the water is actually sucked through to the engine.

I would recommend against drilling any holes on the intake tubes, as it is meant to be completely enclosed as air travels through.
^this

dont waste your time with that stuff, its really only to satisfy individuals who require the peace of mind, imo the placebo effect.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. But I am not talking about putting any holes in my air intake! :eek:oohhh: I meant on the foglight cover. I personally am not too worried about water, but these foglight covers are a funnel for water/rocks/etc with a direct shot at the intake filters.

I'm sure any water that does enter the foglight covers will drip down before getting close to the filters.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
No need to worry, opening or not, the filters at most will get wet but pose no issues or potential issues to the engine.

Reactions: russap5

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool. Time to let some more fresh air into my intakes. :woowoo:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Cool. Time to let some more fresh air into my intakes. :woowoo:
I just got full deletes today! I'd love to see those ducts on your car ;)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
93 Posts
I too have a custom made cai just like dinan but made from brushed aluminum and even cut out my fog lights and fabbed some stainless steel mesh inserts. I was worried at first but had a pretty bad rainstorm on my commute home which is 40 miles. When I got home I removed the pipe leading to the maf and checked for water...bone dry. I did not notice any performance issues either but I did not get on it because of the storm. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
4,597 Posts

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 16 of 16 Posts