BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, figured I would write a proper introduction, as this is where most of the action is.

After spending all year trying to figure out what direction to go in car-wise, stumbled across this pristine 2008 for sale fairly close to me. Of course as you all know, when looking for the right car, any distance that can be covered without an airplane is "fairly close" :wink

Have driven a C63, a previous M5, 2008 S63, 2007 S65, and wasn't sure what I wanted. Was actually in the process of trying to buy the S65 when I stumbled across this car. It disappeared, and the S65 sale fell through. So I thought I was out of luck. Then, a few days later, the M5 popped back up on Autotrader. Lucky me. Went to go see it literally 2 days later. Could tell the owner was a true enthusiast and cared for the car properly. Took one drive and knew it was in good shape. One full throttle pull with the windows down was all I needed. The previous owner just purchased an E30 M3 project car that needed funds, and was looking for a more practical DD, which looks like it will be an X5M. Guess this disease is hard to cure...

As it sits now, has tinted windows, partially blacked out headlights, Lux LED angel eyes, smoked LED side markers, matt black kidneys, 12 mm spacers all around with extended lugs, and a Corsa rear section that sounds absolutely perfect. Also came with a nice set of Weathertech floor mats, which if you live in the midwest, is necessary.

Plans are to fix the misfire in cylinder 3 it developed on the way home (guessing it's the coil, have that already and waiting for a free day to install) and to fix the dead pedal which seems to be a little loose towards the top. Other than that, the car is in stunningly good shape for its nearly 78k miles, and needs nothing. Considering the FAMS tune, Euro SMG software, and possibly springs for the near future. Also perhaps an NBT retrofit down the line and a Bavsound speaker upgrade. I must say though - the factory system (and this car has the entry-level system) is pretty damn good. Certainly better than a lot of cars you can currently buy.

Options are full leather in Indy Red, rear heated seats, rear side airbags, comfort access, USB adapter, sunshades, and sat radio. Color is Black Sapphire. Maybe someday would like to retrofit active seats, high beam assist, and maybe soft-close doors if I get bored. HUD to me isn't super useful, drove a car with it and really didn't need it. I imagine Bavsound speakers are better than the better stereo, no real need for heated steering wheel (also heard it's impossible to retrofit), and never need the rear ski pass through. So overall, a good spec.

Sorry for the novel, but I imagine I'll be posting a lot on here in the near future so I figured I might as well write this now. Hope you like the pics, edited a bit in Photoshop on the iPad to help them pop a bit more. Not too terrible I think.

Thanks for looking, love this place.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just for kicks - something I'll be doing a lot now - I'm sure you can all relate.

Single-handedly keeping OPEC in the black, I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
Love to hear a story

Havent seen red interior before, how is it in person?

Regarding smg software the fams tune takes car of that :)

Auto highbeam is pretty crap to be honest its only newer series it works better on

Enjoy

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love it, I love contrast and I love bright colors so it's perfect for me. For some, might be too much. It looks brighter in that picture than it is, it's a bit more of a burgundy in real life. But the photo was taken in weird light so I decided to boost the contrast. So everything is a bit more vibrant than perhaps it looks on average. There is some wear in some areas, and I knew that would be an issue going in. It's like Silverstone that way - very high maintance color for a leather interior. Center arm rest and the edge of the driver's door armrest are a bit worn - not the point of looking bad but the dye does rub off if you use leather cleaner wipes and apply pressure. So I think some work will need to be done on that. Might need to look into doing some leather restoration on some areas. But overall it's in damn good shape for its age.

Would definitely like to have faster shifts at low speeds, even in S6 it's almost embarrassing at part throttle how slow it is, although I've already gotten used to it. Of course at WOT it's like a rifle bolt, funny how much contrast there is.

Going to have get snow tires eventually but it's doing pretty well with what it's got now in the sub-40 degree wet weather we're having now. No real issues unless you decide to mash the throttle with DSC off.

Good to know about auto high-beam, maybe don't need it then.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts