BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I have them but I'm at work now, so no camera. What kind of pictures do you want? Just the housing? Installed on the car? With the lights on?

Here are some pictures of the car with the lights on at twilight. I wouldnt recommend them unless you go HID, though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have them but I'm at work now, so no camera. What kind of pictures do you want? Just the housing? Installed on the car? With the lights on?

Here are some pictures of the car with the lights on at twilight. I wouldnt recommend them unless you go HID, though.
Thanks Diny ,But the picture i need is with them installed on the car in daylight and with the light off.

Thanks again .

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts

I've got the 55(or is it 50W) HIDs in my headlights and fogs. With those projectors the light output for the fogs is no good?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I've got the 55(or is it 50W) HIDs in my headlights and fogs. With those projectors the light output for the fogs is no good?
If you want light output, then keep the OEM housing. You will get less light with the projectors (ok perhaps not less light, but its gonna be more focused, so it's gonna look like less.

I got them for 2 reasons:

1) to match the color of my xenon headlights
2) to fill the space between the front of the car and the brightest part of the low beam hitting the road. The low beams are 50w, and the fogs are 35.

Here's a picture (not my car) of the lights off. If you'd like something else, let me know and i'll shoot them

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
If you want light output, then keep the OEM housing. You will get less light with the projectors (ok perhaps not less light, but its gonna be more focused, so it's gonna look like less.

I got them for 2 reasons:

1) to match the color of my xenon headlights
2) to fill the space between the front of the car and the brightest part of the low beam hitting the road. The low beams are 50w, and the fogs are 35.

Here's a picture (not my car) of the lights off. If you'd like something else, let me know and i'll shoot them

Ok, thats what I was looking for. the OEM housings scatter the light too much (read: blind everyone).

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Ok, thats what I was looking for. the OEM housings scatter the light too much (read: blind everyone).
That'd be my reason #3, i dont want to blind traffic :cheers:

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
The glass is pretty damned thick. It's a solid dome. Covering them with protective film is a pain in the ***, too. I failed twice, then decided to give up on that.

They house H3 bulbs, but you're gonna have to modify the back in order to fit xenon bulbs since they are longer than halogen ones (drill a big *** hole through the rear cap and then seal the bulb with silicone. I got the kit from Umnitza and they did the whole modification for $25.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Funny that you guys say that the fog lights will blind everyone. Whenever I drive at night, I am guaranteed to get flashed at least once by on coming traffic with stock headlights and fogs. On my trip from Montreal to Saskatoon, I began counting how many times I'd get flashed and it came out to 76 times over the course of 2063 miles! I was ready to shoot people.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Funny that you guys say that the fog lights will blind everyone. Whenever I drive at night, I am guaranteed to get flashed at least once by on coming traffic with stock headlights and fogs. On my trip from Montreal to Saskatoon, I began counting how many times I'd get flashed and it came out to 76 times over the course of 2063 miles! I was ready to shoot people.
Maybe you have them aimed too high. I havent gotten flashed once. My headlights are aimed so that a car that's 30 feet away gets the light cut off just below the door handle.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Maybe you have them aimed too high. I havent gotten flashed once. My headlights are aimed so that a car that's 30 feet away gets the light cut off just below the door handle.
How do you aim them? I thought this is done automatically? It goes through the aiming routine after they are turned on everytime but they do seem aimed too high.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
How do you aim them? I thought this is done automatically? It go through the aiming routine after they are turned on everytime but they do seem aimed too high.

Pop the hood and you're gonna notice that there are 2 knobs on each headlight assembly. The one thats towards the center of the car is the one that adjusts the height of the low beams. You can alternatively use an allen key instead of the knob to adjust them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have them also and Diny is correct about the light output. I got them more for the look than brightness. I do plan on converting them to HID. As Diny stated, stock housing and HID kit is the easiest way to get more or brighter light.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The glass is pretty damned thick. It's a solid dome. Covering them with protective film is a pain in the ***, too. I failed twice, then decided to give up on that.

They house H3 bulbs, but you're gonna have to modify the back in order to fit xenon bulbs since they are longer than halogen ones (drill a big *** hole through the rear cap and then seal the bulb with silicone. I got the kit from Umnitza and they did the whole modification for $25.
You mean Xenon or the Predator Xenix? Cause there is a BIG difference in price, $279 for Xenon added to the projector foglights, or $25 for the Xenix. I'm interested in these as well, but would like to know exactly which way you went.

Oh, and here is a dumb question, what is this about 55w headlights? I'm assuming those are for non-HID lights? My '01 has the OEM Xenon HIDs, so I have no idea what the wattage is for them.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
You mean Xenon or the Predator Xenix? Cause there is a BIG difference in price, $279 for Xenon added to the projector foglights, or $25 for the Xenix. I'm interested in these as well, but would like to know exactly which way you went.

Oh, and here is a dumb question, what is this about 55w headlights? I'm assuming those are for non-HID lights? My '01 has the OEM Xenon HIDs, so I have no idea what the wattage is for them.
Predator xenix is halogen, not xenon. A 100w halogen bulb isnt as bright as a 35w xenon and will last less than 300 hours, as opposed to thousands for the xenon.

As for the 55w headlights, they are HID. Factory HID for our cars is 35 watts. My car is a 2000 model, so it didnt even have angel eyes. I was very unsatisfied with how the lights lit the road, so I got new headlights (projector39s from Umitza) and the 55w xenon kit.

As a result, they were so bright that there was a big dark zone between the front of the car and the main area on the road where the headlights hit, so the solution was HID fog lights.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i have an hig kit in my current fog lights, the oem ones.
If i get these fog lights would i need to get a different bulb to fit them or are the bulbs identical?

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
i have an hig kit in my current fog lights, the oem ones.
If i get these fog lights would i need to get a different bulb to fit them or are the bulbs identical?
You need a different bulb. I think the OEM ones are 9006, but projectors are H3.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts