BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***Disclaimer – Super detailed journal with many high quality pictures below. I hope you have time to kill :)

Well, I’ve had my M5 for 11 months and it has undergone a massive transformation since I first bought it. I finally put the project to bed (or at least stage 1 of it) so I figured now would be as good a time as any to share with you guys my project. I dub this, Project Drama, as there has been nothing but headaches and head scratching with one company in particular, but I’m happy to present my M5 as it stands today.

Before I dive in I want to thank my good buddy Chris, aka umichchris, for all of his help with the build. The man is truly an automotive mastermind, a Master-tech in Training I dub him, and his creativity is off the charts. I put my M5 in his/his company’s hands (RepublicWraps which is now RepublicWerkz) and am nothing but pleased with how this turned out. Stage 2 already in the brainstorming phase!

Lets get into it. I purchased this 2008 Spacegray on black M5 under CPO warranty w/ about 58k miles on November 22, 2013:

It knew from the start I was going to wrap the car with Chris’s help, so I was not overly concerned with getting the right color combo. I wanted something that was clean and still had some sort of warranty, and all boxes were ticked with this gem. One thing that I did not like at all were the Vossen wheels. I figured I’d ride them for awhile and maybe the wheels would grow on me. They didn’t.

Drove the car stock for about 2 weeks before the mod bug hit. First mod – exhaust. I just had to unmuffle the V10 that lies in this beast. I decided to give the Evolve Valvetronic exhaust a go, as I love the sound and it provided me the best of both worlds – V10 roar when wide open and subtle growl when cruising around the neighborhood with valves closed:

I had Joe and Nerwyll over at Trinity Autosport do the install. Great guys to work with and just shoot the breeze on cars with. Evolve forgot to send a set of bolts and hangers, but [email protected] overnighted a set which arrived less than 24 later in the middle of the holidays. I have nothing but good things to say about everyone involved in the process, as professionalism and quality work was at the forefront:

Next on the list was a few things from Dinan. I had the stage 1 suspension on the car already, so I’d figure I’d go for the badge with the cold air intake, pedals, and carbon fiber strut bar. I bought the CAI and strut bar from fellow M5board members:

Picked up some custom roundels from CnC Collision and custom badge from iND:

All the while, I had been planning things out with Chris on what I wanted done to my car. I picked Satin Pearl White for the wrap, and I wanted to use Lamborghini Arancio Borealis Orange as a compliment color on the calipers. Chris had other ideas however. Drop off day on March 3, 2014:

The wrap was the "simple" part, but Chris has an eye for flare when it comes to lighting. He wouldn’t give me any hints to what he was thinking. I wanted a few things such as Arc Reactor taillights (a RepublicWerkz one of a kind at the time), but Chris had other things up his sleeve. The work began that weekend:

Door jambs getting done too:

Chris sent me these as teasers. No idea he was doing this at the time:

Wrap is done. Car still in pieces:

Chris was now 100% on transforming the lights. I got these vanity plates in the meantime. SoCal AMG drivers absolutely LOVE me now. Sarcasm of course. My Dinan badge also came in, so I had it color matched by iND with the M5 badge and mounted both while Chris was doing more important things:

Calipers and RPI scoops in that Lambo orange:

Finally, I was able to see what Chris was up to. He sent me these pics with the final product to be installed the next day:

The shrouds had REAL 4x4 carbon fiber weave, a surprise that he threw in for me, and the inner clear lense was changed out to a polarized black lense. I originally contacted Oakley for help with this since they helped MFEST founder Chris get his lenses on his E60, but they refused to help me. MFEST Chris had an extra set of Oakley lenses lying around and he gave me his blessing to use them. The tailights were color matched to satin pearl white with the arc reactors (i.e. mini angel eyes). Paint was an absolute pain in the butt, as these colors were hard to get right. The Lambo paint, being Italian, did not want to cooperate and set evenly either :grrrrr:

Translucent orange fins and RepublicWerkz’s special “T1000” low beams were installed. Chris won’t spill the beans on this secret, but the light emitting appears any color desired (my case orange), but it projects pure 6,000K white, so it is not illegal.

The car was put together and the transformation is almost complete:

I took a little time off of modding just to enjoy driving the car again. CPO expired, and I made sure to get one final sweep and oil change in. Anybody in SoCal looking for a good service advisor should look no further than Charlie Kim at McKenna BMW. The guy is a real enthusiast and makes sure his techs know what’s on the car so there are no stupid warranty issues.

I couldn’t stand the Vossens anymore, so I turned to old reliable Chris and bought his 21” DPE concave wheels off his E60. The plan was to drop it off at DPE and have them refinish the wheels with gloss black lips and satin black inners in 2 weeks. That was the plan in July. Long story short, I just got the wheels back mid October, 3 months later. Every conceivable thing that could have gone wrong, did. Parts were lost, there were massive delays with sub vendors, and one wheel was not sealed properly and would not hold air. The DPE guys were very nice and understanding throughout the process, but they admitted it was all out of their hands since they outsource all the work. Needless to say, in the future I will be going with the only wheel company to do EVERYTHING in house from order to pickup – HRE.

In the end, I am happy with how the wheels turned out but I am not happy with the 3 month wait time. I won;t get into this now, but I can at a later time if anybody wants to know more.

Added a CF front splitter too:

That is how the car sits today at (near) the end of October 2014. I recently got the Evolve tune to compliment my bolt on mods and the car is still going through the adjustment phase. Stage 2 is around the corner, where Chris and I are going to modify the headlights slightly and do some touch ups. The interior will be getting some love next!

Thank yous go out to the following people who at times went out of their way to help me with this project:

Chris @ RepublicWerks
Brett aka “Young Letty” aka “Brett-o-lett” @ RepublicWerkz
Conrad aka "Reezy" @ RepublicWerkz
Nerwyll @ TrinityAutosport
Joe @ TrinityAutosport
Alex @ Evolve
The Evolve Team overseas in the UK for exhaust and tune help
Nathan @ CnC Collision
Andrew @ iND
Charlie @ McKenna BMW
Gil @ McKenna BMW

More to come.

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,253 Posts
Looks good Andrew! Glad to hear your Beast is back on the road!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
The orange scoops and the lights when looking front on at the car, is absolutely amazing. Love it!

The lights setup is stunning in itself, both back and front.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
What a dramatic change. Looks awesome! Chris definitely has a great eye and touch for being creative with mods.

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
146 Posts
wrap looks stunning good job.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Stunning!!!!!!! I love the write up and pictures of course. Chris is the man when it comes to this stuff. A++ from me too.

Dan

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wow!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Looks great! The attention to detail on the wrap makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Wrap

Car looks really good. And those vossens were hideous. Another note when I think about wraps or wrapping a car, I think wrap it some color that is different(in a good way) like for example, colors that are not similar to factory colors. I'm not saying your wrap doesn't look good but it's white, yea it's satin Lamborghini white but it's still like ehhh we already have white m5s, again the car looks beautiful, and the wrap is quality work I can see from the pics.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all for the kind words. All the credit goes to Chris and his work ethic. Hardest working man in the game hands down. I believe my car was the last "customer" car he will wrap as he is moving towards lighting only. Everyone who PM'd me can stop asking :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lights are awesome! How much does something like that cost?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Nice looking car and transformation.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Wrap job looks flawless!

Reactions: Michael G
1 - 20 of 24 Posts